Volquratsen Rail Causes Slide Drag and Hardware Does Not Work

Discussion in 'Browning Mark Handgun' started by gmcjetpilot, Mar 11, 2016.

1. gmcjetpilot

gmcjetpilot Copper BB

Well I bought the Volquartsen rail, and the factory hardware does not work and using a temp installation the slide sticks.... The slide is smooth with factory back strap. BTW it is a new URX Standard....

Browning screw heads diameter are too big and the counter sink too shallow. The screws that go into the Volquartsen rail are smaller head and countersink is different, steeper angle...

THE SLIDE STICKS... I put the factory back strap on, smooth. I suspect the channel the trigger block rides in was not milled deep enough or they put too much finish on it. I spend $50 I don't want to have to sand on the rail....

QUESTION: Where do I buy hardware, and any idea where I need to Mod the rail to make it slide nice, like the factory blackstrap.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Sorry...can't help you with that question.

This entry will bump it to the top for others to see and reply...
  3. gmcjetpilot

gmcjetpilot Copper BB

Well update... I spent about 4-5 hours this Saturday fitting it...

The fix for the hardware was easy. I took the factory front screw and removed about 0.013" from the head diameter. The front fastener hole that holds the volquartsen rail on has to have a head diameter around 0.320 or less. I carefully filed the head down. The starting diameter was 0.338 (using micrometer). I shaved it down to about 0.320. This allowed it to fit into the recessed area and into the counter bored hole with out hanging up in the large radius in the bottom of the rail.

I sanded and polished the bottom of the rail... The slid drag is a little better, but what I see with the factory design is flat on a flat surface, is you can put a business card easily under it between the ends where it attaches, a slight gap as if it's bowed. This I assume gives clearance for slide to move next and under the strap. The Volquartsen rail has less clearance. I assume the steel side will "break in" the aluminum rail. I may take it off again and take another few thousands off.....

NEW PROBLEM.... The rear iron sight did not fit.... NOTE: Volquartsen has changed the design... the old design had you remove the whole sight with base. You typically see that in pictures. What they send you is different. There is an integral mount. You just transfer the center piece of the iron sight... You have to drive out a roll pin and watch out for clip spring and ratchet spring. If it all fit it would not be bad... BAD NEWS... it did not fit with out lots of fitting. I had to remove some surface finish between the support where the iron sight fits into..... Also once you drive the roll pin in the up down set screw is hard to adjust... there is a slight tolerance issue.... It works, but to sight it in, I had to go to the lower setting, and the screw starts to bind badly.... It works, but not happy. I would have preferred the old design where you use the full Browning sight mount....

It is done, but I really had to work at it. The complaint is they don't give you instructions and changed the design but still show the old design (regarding how the sight mounts).... It would be nice if they included screws with the smaller heads and would recommend including screws and opening up the clearances for the slide and sight. For me I would like the old sight installation using the whole thing, base and center part, verses trying to transfer just the center part... They did this to make it fit more sights. However the old design using the whole sight would be my preference.

To Volquartsen's credit, I sent them an email late Friday and Scott Volquartsen wrote me right back.... Overall this product quality is great, but be prepared to do some fitting to make it work... Reading other reviews other people have no complaints and give it 5 stars..... I believe them. May be this is because I have a URX. The other option is pay $30 more, from tactical solutions rail, which has the rear iron sight included. The only negative I have heard about that is the iron sight is a little lose for left/right settings and does not have ratcheting click setting feature...
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

A lot more work than I would have done...so, good for you !!