Valmet brass 16 ga

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Ranger6, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Well loaded a couple more brass shells tonight with the hopes of putting them on paper Saturday. I have ring waxed the fiber wads to hopefully eliminate the confetti. I added an additional fiber wad (2) on top of the nitro card, that is over 17.5 grains of red dot. Still loaded with about 50-60 lbs of pressure on the wads. The one with nitro on the overshot card has a 14 gauge nitro card on top of the fiber wads, as a solid platform for the 1 oz of shot. I am assuming the pattern will be better. Then it’s topped with 14 gauge overshot card. The last one I glued with water glass. Word to the wise, if you wanna eas your next reload, don’t use it. Took me like an hour to scape the water glass out. These will go straight to the pattern board so I won’t glue them in. In the future I will try something different, maybe elmer’s glue. I will be shooting out of a single barrel stevens with cylinder choke. I will be at about 25-27 yards( max I can get at range)

Attached Files:

2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Might be one of the neatest things I’ve seen on a reloading forum. Can’t wait to see how they work
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Keep your fingers crossed. Hopefully they hit the paper. The stevens is new to me, shot 1 shell through it when I bought it. It’s went bang. I will shoot a factory shell also to compare it too.
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Don’t blow that bitch up
  5. Ranger6

I think I’m good with 17.5 gains. I load 18 in my papers and it’s a good load. I may go up from there depending on the pattern, what the brass looks like and the barrel. If it goes boom I’m only out 100 bucks
  6. Ranger6

Results are in. Range has been doing some updates, so now they have a pretty good pattern lane that is actually 40 yards. No table yet but found a 55 gal barrel that I could put sand bags on to make a table. Couple things I noticed. The confetti is completely gone. Ring waxing works. The load with nitro card under the shot was the softest shooting , followed by the RST. The nitro card under the shot seemed to spread the pattern out, but not as much as I thought. The barrel inspected and cleaned before and after each brass shell showed pretty clean, no residual powder left.

Attached Files:

7. Ranger6

Some updates to valmet brass. The current load I loaded was 17.5grains of red dot. Upon case inspection I noticed a small bulge in the brass that I assumed was fired formed from the chambers in the stevens single barrel. To see the more likely cause see post Remington UMC brass.