Unfired Light 12, Lube and Cleaning?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Tom, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Tom

Tom .22LR

Group,

I found a NIB light twelve and bought it for myself. I have not fired it but I intend to some time in the future. All my guns are like new and I intend to keep this one as nice as possible.

I'm a 40 yr shotgunner but never owned an A-5. I'm a bit squeamish about disassembly of a new A-5 for cleaning; I'm afraid I'll mar the screws or receiver in the process.

Q: Can this gun be lubed and fired/cleaned reasonably well without taking the receiver apart?

Thanks for reading.

Tom
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Hello Tom, and welcome.

If you look at the screws on your Browning, you'll see that you probably don't own a screwdriver that will fit in those thin slots. They did that right from the beginning in 1903 to discourage owners from taking the gun apart.

Field stripping is just a matter of removing the magazine cap, forearm, and barrel. Lock the bolt to the rear first and retract the barrel a little bit while you loosen the cap. The manual says to clean off the anti-rust preservative on the gun and relubricate. You can download the manual from the Browning website.
    http://www.browning.com/support/owners-manuals.html

Congratulations on a rare find.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  3. Tom

Tom .22LR

Thanks for the info. Happily I will refrain from any screw turning attempts. Regards Tom
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Tom !!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...

Enjoy the forum...and congrats on the new shotgun

Post a few pictures of her when you find the time...