Trigger Pull

Discussion in 'Browning 1911 - 380 Handgun' started by JimCunn, May 2, 2023.

1. JimCunn

JimCunn .410

Trigger pull on both my 1911-380s is about 2 pounds, 4 ounces.
    I'm thinking about reducing it to about 1 pound 8 or 9 ounces.
    Any thoughts?
  2. ShooterGranny

ShooterGranny .270 WIN

For carry - nope. Too light to be safe. For range use? Your gun - go for it.
  3. JimCunn

JimCunn .410

Is l the present 2 pounds 4 safe?
    Last edited: May 4, 2023
  4. ShooterGranny

ShooterGranny .270 WIN

If you are asking "safe to carry?" It seems that most everything I read on the forums I belong to generally indicate that much lighter than 5 pounds is not a great idea for a carry gun. That's a general statement, though. Personally, my carry guns have always been in the 5.5 to 6.5 pound range and I find those triggers quite easy to "pull" when my adrenaline is flowing doing simple range work. In a real SD situation, the adrenaline flow is going to be much much higher. A lot of people comment that "you" won't even notice a 10# or 12# trigger if you are in a SD situation.

SO, draw your own conclusions: If the above is true, aren't you possibly in danger of pulling that very light trigger more than once before you get it on target - even at your own body parts?

I do not know if there is one right answer, but there certainly are things to consider.
    Ranger6 likes this.
  5. JimCunn

JimCunn .410

Interesting. Both my 1911-380s came from Browning averaging 2 pounds 4 ounces.
    Sounds like yours are heavier.

By way of comparison, my 3 Airweight J-frames have been converted to 9mm for carry with triggers lightened to 1.25 pounds. Never had an accidental fire with them.
  6. JimCunn

JimCunn .410

You bring up a good point. Since both my 1911-380s came from the factory with trigger pull about half of what is recommended for carry, I wonder if I should double their pull instead of lightening it?
  7. ShooterGranny

ShooterGranny .270 WIN

??? I suppose you'll figure it out to suit your preferences and needs. ????
  8. JimCunn

JimCunn .410

I dunno. It's easy to make a gun do what you want it to do. It's not always so easy to decide what you Should do. Left to my own devices, I would take them both to about 1.5 pounds, - but I'm not convinced that's the smart thing to do.
    Ranger6 likes this.