Trigger assembly question

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Aug 20, 2021.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

So I ran across a nice 20 gauge today for a fair price at my LGS. I don’t own an Auto 5 with the cross bolt safety anymore because I can’t stand them. I have an extra 16 gauge sliding safety trigger assembly. Think I could fit that in the 20 and make it work?
  2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Pretty sure I’m going back to get it tomorrow regardless
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

What’s wrong with the cross bolt safety? Well hell just remove it and have no safety, but to answer your question, I’m not sure, without doing some measurements
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    Rockher_man likes this.
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I shoot left handed so it’s backwards. Yes I know I can get a left hand safety. Also I am used to tang safeties so I prefer a sliding type safety
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

So your a lefty. Learned something new. I get it now.
  6. Ranger6

Does it have the 2 piece lifter? The slide safety should be 1 piece. Wondering about the spring location.
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I think it will work. The 20 gauge was based on the 16, so the trigger plates should match. So long as you don’t plan on swapping too many parts. The trigger spring changed. The new ones don’t have the tab. And you’ll have to use the new style carrier spring. The FSM will show you how to make it work in the old style guns.

On page 4 of my post about the First Year gun, I show the difference between the old and new triggers.
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The 2-piece carrier works with either style carrier spring. But he’ll have to use the new style regardless, as his gun will lack the studs for the old style. And it might be a PITA, since his trigger plate will lack the mounting stud for the new spring.
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Here’s the relevant page from the FSM:

[​IMG]
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

FULL STOP

It won’t work. You can use the new style spring in an old gun. But you can’t use a new style spring in a new gun with an old trigger plate.
  11. Ranger6

So he would have to go with left handed cross bolt?
  12. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

13. Nigel Martin

Nigel Martin .22LR

I have a left hand safety out of my 1965 split lifter 12G, I swapped it out for a right hand after getting REALLY confused by it when I first bought the gun. It looks identical to the RH safety, with the large head on the RHS of the receiver, but is SAFE when it’s pushed in in from the RHS - completely barmy…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Damn you guys are good. I guess I’ll order a left hand safety. Still on the fence if I should snag it or not. I don’t have a 20 Auto 5 yet
  15. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I just paid $98 for a case of 20’s. I can shoot my 16’s cheaper if put in the time on the loader.
  16. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

That’s insane. I have quite a few flats of 20 gauge AA’s from the days of the $2 off a box with rebate.
  17. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Years ago I bought a huge supply of 16 and 20 gauge shells from Natchez Shooting Supplies. The order was so big they called to tell me they couldn’t use their normal shipper, and asked if I still wanted it. Turns out the alternate shipper was cheaper, so it was an easy decision.

There’s one case left of Remington 20 and two of Remington 16 gauge shells. I tend to hoard those because my 20 and one of my 16 gauge Auto-5’s didn’t like Herter’s, which I also bought in bulk back when Cabela’s was a worthwhile place to shop. (I recently bought a couple boxes of the new Herter’s. Those have plenty of power, but they also cost three times as much.)

I think those cases averaged $45 each.