Trash in my face with suppressor

Discussion in 'Browning 1911-22 Handgun' started by milquetoast599, Jul 28, 2019.

1. milquetoast599

milquetoast599 Copper BB

Just got a 1911-22 with threaded barrel, to use as a host for a Gemtech Outback suppressor. Bad juju: when I shoot it with the suppressor attached I get a lot of trash blown back into my face -- I mean a lot. It stings, gets in my nose and mouth, and (fortunately) bounces off my eye protection. Until I can get the situation resolved, I won't shoot it with the suppressor -- which is, after all, the reason I bought it.

Anybody else have this experience? Anybody else shooting with a suppressor and not having that problem?

I am wondering if a heavier recoil spring would keep the slide closed a millisecond longer. Does anybody make a heavier spring?

BTW, ammo is Remington Target, CCI Sub-Sonic, and Gemtech.

Thanks for whatever help you can offer.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Hi, I don’t have much experience with suppressors but I’m guessing that not only would a stronger spring eliminate the blow back to your face but also will make your gun a lot quieter. The downside is your gun probably won’t cycle.
  3. ShooterGranny

ShooterGranny .270 WIN

There is another thread here about the trash in the face. That thread does not mention suppressors. I do not use a suppressor, but I get hot trash in the throat when shooting "from the hip". Not when shooting with arm or arms extended - so far anyway. I shoot mostly Aguila Super Extra through my 1911-22 because I have a whole case of it and need to use it up. My S&W M&P .22 compact will also shoot the Aguila but my Ruger Mark IV Lite will NOT.