Thoughts of New A-5

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Morgan Harris, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Morgan Harris

Morgan Harris Copper BB

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I was wondering how the new A-5s shoot and overall performance. I work as a firearm salesman and I'm very familar with the specs. I have not had the opportunity to shoot the new A-5s yet. I grew up with my grandfather's old Belgian which I lost in a will dispute (not worth getting into a fist fight with a cousin about (on second thought...)) That humpback design is what I learned to shoot with and I can take down anything with it. I've never fully been able to transition to anything else, the Auto-5 just fit me. My question is how do y'all like your new A-5s and if there's anything I should be warned about them?
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Morgan !!

Can't say I've heard anything negative about the new A-5's...
    Morgan Harris likes this.
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I disliked the new A5 because though made to resemble the Auto-5, it's a completely different gun. Not a new gun -- its "inertial action" is copied from the Benelli.

Shotgun expert Randy Wakeman dislikes the chokes and the trigger.

That said, a friend had one at the club last year and offered to let me shoot it. Station 4 Skeet doubles, it swung nicely and both targets broke. I didn't notice the trigger, chokes, or inertial action.

Shoot one, if it fits and you can get past the sticker shock, buy it. I'm sticking with the Auto-5.
  4. Morgan Harris

Morgan Harris Copper BB

Thanks for the input Rudolph. My biggest concern has been the choke system. The DS is unproven. That being said I'm rarely impressed with factory chokes. I'm glad to hear it worked well on doubles. I was also interested in the follow up shots.

I somewhat agree on the action. I wish they would have gone back to the original design, but I understand why they didn't. That being said if you're going to take a patent from someone else's inertias Benelli is the only choice (to be competitive). The gun fits me, I just haven't been able to shoot it, and probably wont unless I buy it.

What I need is a reliable duck gun, that can take on geese and turkeys when called upon to. Eventually Carlson will make good extended chokes for it and the ones from the factory can see the bottom of the blind bag.

As to swallowing the sticker price.... I do get an awfully nice discount.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  5. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

I have been in love with the A5 since about 1995. I now have three and it's the only shotgun I get excited over.
  6. HeyHey

HeyHey .22LR

I just took my A5 hunter with 26" 3.5" chamber dove hunting this last week. I love the way it feels bringing it to my shoulder and the weight is very easy to swing. The action is very fast and easy to load. I love the quick load function and not having to push the button to add shells like the original Auto 5's. If you love the original Auto 5 and are looking for a modern shotgun to use in every hunting application, you will find some familiarity when shooting the A5.
  7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Get any doves...!?
  8. HeyHey

HeyHey .22LR

Yes, limited out both days. I used the improved cylinder choke that came with the gun. I need to go and pattern the gun to see which choke will work best but, I hit as expected out to 30-40 yards. I'm very happy will the gun even though it feels like I'm cheating on my American made Auto 5.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Don't worry...the A5 will get over it !! :rolleyes:
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

American-made Auto-5...

There were some Auto-5s made in the U.S. During WWII Browning bought guns from Remington. These were actually the Model 11 with a Cut-Off and some engraving added.

Other than those, all Auto-5s were imported, from Belgium and, starting in the 70's, Japan. And that includes HeyHey's 1925 model.
  11. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

I learn something new everyday from Rudolph....thanks buddy !!