Tactical Questions

Discussion in 'Tactical And Home Defense' started by FOX3, Aug 21, 2010.

1. FOX3

FOX3 .22LR

For any tactical questions feel free to ask me. I am by no means an expert, and there is more than one right way to do things, but I have experience in Long Range Markmenship, Close quarters combat, Breaching, pistol tactics and other somewhat harder to get skills.
  2. DHonovich

DHonovich Founder Staff Member Administrator

What are some things to look for or think about when deciding on a shotgun setup for home defense/tactical purpose?
  3. FOX3

FOX3 .22LR

The best answer I could give you would be whatever feels right in your hands.

A shorter barrel is always good because it allows you to bring your weapon up on target quicker. A bird gun has a longer barrel to give you the range needed. A CQC (close quarters combat) or defense weapon should have a shorter to avoid snagging it on things. If you get a weapon with a "cookie cutter" thingy on the front it can be used as a less than lethal option to shooting someone.

As for stock options (the ones on your weapon, not fortune 500 types) a full stock would allow you to switch out the barrel and convert the weapon to a bird/deer gun. A pistol grip would limit the all around uses of the weapon, although keeping the overall footprint down. I would recommend a top folding stock with a pistol grip. You can put a shell holder onto the under side of the folding stock and keep it out of the way. I like the setup found here:

http://www.atigunstocksusa.com/mossberg ... 0stock.htm

I am by no means an expert, my opinions are based on a poor G.I. Joe's Ideas. Multi purpose, tactical uses and maneuverability are all important to me. The best advice is when buying a personal defense weapon get the one that feels most comfortable to you. Pick it up at the store, get in the worst possible shooters stance and see how it feels. You'll need to use it at the oddest time and the first time it happens all your training and prep will go out the window.
  4. E4x4Eric

E4x4Eric .22LR

I will be pulling my Thunder 380 first to buy time untill I get to my 500A or the Colt Anaconda 44mag :cool:
  5. FOX3

FOX3 .22LR

All superb ideas, I will be pulling a pair of lighted 1911's until I can get to my 930
  6. Cody11

Cody11 Copper BB

Hey, Ive been looking into getting a tactical stock for my 500 cruiser. Where I live (Saskatchewan, Canada) they go for 200 bucks! I was just wondering how much they go for elsewhere, like the USA, and if it is worth the money and is durable? If im going to spend 200 bucks on a stock it better out last me hahaha thanks guys!
  7. DHonovich

DHonovich Founder Staff Member Administrator

I think 200 bucks is a bit expensive for a stock on a mossberg 500. The ATI stock goes for around 100 from what I have seen here in the states. I personally have the ATI 6 position collapsable tactical stock and love it but I do plan to switch to the folding stock due to personal preference. I have zero complaints about the ATI stocks though.
  8. OneShot

OneShot Copper BB

You can't go wrong with any of the ATI made products on the mossberg 500. At least all the ones I have purchased have been great.
  9. Rossignol

Rossignol .410

For home defense, its not something you wanna mess up with too many gadgets. Keep it simple. A collapsable stock, for a shorter LOP or something like the Hogue 12" LOP makes for a more weildly and easier pointing firearm. A pistol grip would work well too. A shorter rather longer barrel as mentioned above. Possibly even a tritium bead sight that will gather available light. These things make it easier to move and weild a weapon in an HD scenario should you have to. Nothing wrong with a light either so you can see what youre pointing at. A super bright LED combined with a shell being jacked into the chamber alone may be an effective enough deterent, but be prepared to use force if youre going to pull a gun.

Another consideration should be your ammo. I wouldnt try to take a deer with bird shot. Neither would I place my hopes in bird shot to defend my family. So select appropriate ammo as well.

Whatever you go with, be comfortable with it, and put in some range time with a few different types of loads. If you've got a wife and kids, make a day of it! Its fun stuff! But know how the gun is going to handle and feel when you pull the trigger, dont surprise your self in the middle of the night.

Also, gadgets can make a gun look cool, but they dont make you a better shooter.
  10. FOX3

FOX3 .22LR

I completely agree. No matter how many toys you have, if you can't shoot then you're just a gear queer.
  11. DoubleTap

DoubleTap Administrator Staff Member Administrator

on your HD guns do you guys have any type of sights on you your guns?
  12. Rossignol

Rossignol .410

Bead sight.
  13. m24shooter

m24shooter .22LR

For HD use, I've got the following:
    Bead and GRS on pump guns.
    I had an Aimpoint Micro on my SPX for a while; it was nice, but I've moved it. May get another one for the SPX. I also tried a Trijicon MRDS but that thing is not a primary sight and was not satisfactory for duty or defensive use.
    I've got the Aimpoint Micro on a middy AR carbine now.
    Aimpoint M68 on an M4gery.

If you're wanting an electronic sight of some sort, I would go with a Micro or the SPARC. Very nice units, plenty of power for the dot and the ability to adjust dot brightness, and robust. Small enough to fit in well with shotguns. They don't have the weight and bulk issues that tend to make shotguns top-heavy. The battery life means you can leave them on and not worry about taking the time to turn them on.
    The Trijicon RMR is supposed to be pretty good, but I don't know if it got past the same issues that held the MRDS back.
  14. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri .22LR

Not a moderator, but I have a bit of background and training in both Army basics and counter-terrorism. Some of my training is going on 25+ years old so there may be newer ways of doing things - although I do try to keep sharp with courses available to civilians.

My answer to the question about HD shotguns is based on the principle of "simpler is better." Beyond that, whatever weapon you choose ... practice, practice, practice. If you can't field strip, reassemble, load and fire your weapon with your eyes closed give some consideration to how you would survive a "fix" or reload in a low-light situation.

Moving on from there, I like a short gun for working inside doorways, hallways and the like. My primary HD shotgun is a double-barrel coach gun loaded with 00 Buck. It doesn't give me as many rounds as say the 930 SPX but it's short, simple and deadly within ranges common to in-home encounters. Grips and stocks are pretty much personal preference IMO. I don't happen to like pistol grips or folding stocks but if you do that's your choice.
  15. Rossignol

Rossignol .410

This may be another thread altogether, but...

My house dogs have free reign at night. (there are outside dogs too) They sleep in one of two bedrooms with kids. They are ultra alert and aware for anything out of place and imediately attempt to confront anything not right. I love my dogs, but they arent people or kids. I wont risk my life or the lives of my wife and children by putting myself in harms way to pull the dogs to safety. They are working animals that have a solid place in my heart, but if something happens to me, whos lookin out for my wife and kids?

All that said, if there is a threat in the house, I'll have to confront it just to gather my family into one place.

Dogs are the first line of defense, and not the last. My philosophy is "Behind the Gun", get everyone behind the gun, whatever it takes. My dogs do the same thing without being told, they just get there first, and hold. I've seen them do it, bark and hold, and dont let anyone pass.

So dogs sound the alarm, wife calls 911, I gather up the chillins and use whatever force is necessary to acomplish that and defend them. Do we go through this every time the dogs bark? Nope. But they have different barks. If the dogs arent interested in a noise, neither am I.