Sweet 16 recoil spring

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Ranger6, May 27, 2019.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Got a new spring from MWG for the sweet 16. The field manual shows 8.6” as the free length. Mine is not even close to that. Old spring measures 9.5”. Anyone have a new spring and can measure? Also when and where did you purchase from? Thanks in advance.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Just checked the spring on a 1957 Sweet Sixteen. 7 7/8”, not sure if it’s new or not, but I’ll check my records. I don’t usually replace them since I only shoot target loads.
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Yup, this one was changed a few years ago, and I bought it at MGW. It’s probably taken a bit of a set, but the gun runs great.
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Called them today and explained the measurements, so finally they are gonna check and get back to me. I’m sure I will have to call them
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Midwest Gun Works was my main source of parts, but I’ve heard they sold most of their inventory to Art’s. I’m not sure what they have left, or the quality. Too bad.
  6. Ranger6

Yea I may call brad to get one. Numrich still shows them. I did find one on eBay, but as usual the price is double
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Unless it’s in the wrapper, I wouldn’t trust an eBay spring. I don’t know if you read my “Repair” post, but there are a lot of parts on eBay advertised as Browning that are off some other gun.
  8. Ranger6

I agree. To bad that people do that but they do.
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

It is too bad, but I think it’s out of ignorance rather than dishonesty. How many can tell the difference between a Savage 720 and an Auto-5 Locking Block?
  10. Ranger6

True. I always get pictures and measurements if there is a question
  11. Ranger6

Holy shit Batman. MWG actually called me back. The measurements they gave me where 8.5” long. 1.18 OD and .95 ID on the recoil spring. I will measure the one I got from them and post my findings.
    On a new note the friction pieces for the 16 are gone from Midwest, with no more planned. I called brad and low and behold they did buy all the stock. He had 30 plus, so I ordered 4 from him. Brad was telling me that they are working with a machine shop to start making the hard to find parts and that the friction pieces are being made. They will be offering a rebuild kit very soon. He did say expect the price to go up as they will be made here in USA instead of japan. They were 39.99 today, so who knows what they will be.
    Tuscaloosa Aubie likes this.
  12. Ranger6

Update on the recoil spring. The ones from art fit like a champ. You can actually spin the spring on the magazine tube like you should be able to. I also ordered a 20 gauge spring to compare with the one I got from MGW. Wow they are identical. There is a slight difference between the 16 and 20 gauge springs. Some places have the 16/20 as the same spring. Browning list two different part numbers, as well as Art and MWG. The spring from MWG was so tight on the 16 that you could not spin it on the magazine tube. After weeks of back-n- forth with MGW, telling them that they sent me the wrong spring, with them saying not possible, we have sold thousands with no complaints or returns. The rep even ask me if I was sure I had a 16 gauge. Well not sure that it’s worth letting them know, but goes to say, if you know your A5, you know when something isn’t right.
    Tuscaloosa Aubie likes this.
  13. Ranger6

Update on the sweet sixteen. Replaced recoil spring with correct one. Used old friction piece. Shooting 1oz reloads at 1250 FPS. Shooting factory loads 1oz at 1200Fps. Set up on heavy load setting. Recoil better, but still to much. Replaced bronze piece same loads. About the same. Gun set up on heavy setting should not cycle 1200 FPS shells. Wiped magazine tube dry and set up for heavy loads. Shooting factory ammo at 1200 FPS. Gun fired but would not cycle correctly, left spent shell in the chamber. Recoil very soft. About what I would expect from a correctly set up A5.
    I do believe there was to much oil on magazine tube preventing friction pieces from doing there job. I never put much oil anyway, but to much oil is the only cause I can find. Back to the reloading bench to make some at 1250fps and see if it will cycle correctly. Update again tomorrow