Sweet 16 and standard 16 forearm question

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Ranger6, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Trying to locate another forearm for my 1909 16. I will probably end up having one made , so it will match the stock. It’s pretty expensive so don’t wanna go at it blind. Does anyone know the difference between the sweet 16 and standard 16 forearm? Both are 10.5 inches long.
    From the discussion with Rudolph31 and the research I believe I have the barrel issue(see post 1909 16) narrowed down to the forearm causing the problems.
    I read yesterday that the 2 3/4 guns have the area inside the forearm hollowed out more then the 2 9/16 ones. Not sure if thats true as I don’t have one. The new barrel is 2 9/16 just like the original one, but original forearm does not work.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I took a few measurements. You are correct, both forearms are 10 1/2” long.
    The “channel” that the barrel ring reciprocates in is 7 1/8” on the new gun and 7” on the old. The “barrel stop” portions are 3 5/16” and 3 1/2” respectively. These measurements are imprecise as they were taken on old (1911 and 1957) guns with a steel ruler. (Somebody must have swiped my calipers.). But the 1/8” difference comes close to half the difference in stroke between the two guns. The other half is accomplished by the movable ejector in the 2 3/4” guns.

But it occurs to me that you don’t need a short chamber forearm. New guns cycle the short shells just fine. And since you only need it when you use your new barrel, it doesn’t have to be anything special. You will find that some of the unblued portion of the barrel extension will show as it lets the barrel sit further forward. No big deal.
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

So if I understand you correctly. A 2 3/4 forearm should foot the bill. Thanks for the measurements. I’m gonna measure mine this weekend.
    Rudolph31 likes this.