Superposed from 1966

Discussion in 'Browning Superposed Shotgun' started by Joel45acp, May 25, 2017.

1. Joel45acp

Joel45acp Copper BB

So I picked up a 1966 Superposed Lightning in 12ga. in great shape. I went to the range to test fire it and while doing so I noticed that if I select the top barrel to shoot first, it won't reset the bottome barrel to fire. But if I select to fire the bottom first it will reset and fire the top barrel. Any ideas?
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Above my pay grade...

But I'm sure some member here will weigh in...
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Not a Superposed expert, but I know that recoil from the first barrel sets the trigger to fire the second. Cycling the safety will also set the second trigger if due to a misfire or insufficient recoil it doesn't do it automatically.

The reset on the bottom barrel obviously isn't working. I'd try cycling the safety to see if that works. Then I'd pull the butt stock to see if something obvious was wrong. Probably a good cleaning is all that's needed. Failing that, I'd try to find a gunsmith I trusted. Art Isaacson is the only one I've found that meets the criteria. You might try calling him.
    Rob poston likes this.
  4. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Just a shot in the dark here, I would suggest that the pin assembly might be a tad gummed up, preventing the recoil from resetting the pin on #2. Try a few shells with some serious kick-in-the-pants to them, and see if that helps. The Superposed is an inertia resettable firearm, as Rudolph stated (if I am not mistaken, the 725 is the first factory Browning O/U with a mechanical trigger).
    See if this helps.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  5. Joel45acp

Joel45acp Copper BB

I took the stock off and studied the internal parts for a few hours and it occurred to me that one of the resets had a burr on it. I stoned about .002" off and now it's 100%. I'm think the owner got rid of it thinking it was "broken". His loss is my gain. 95% condition Superposed 12ga. built in 1966(no salt gun) for $775. Im happy with my buy.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Never did understand why some think it's OK to sell off a non-working firearm as working to unsuspecting people and leave them with the problem...

People...they never cease to amaze me.

Glad you got it fixed Joel.
    Rob poston likes this.
  7. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Integrity, my friend. Something that is unfortunately lacking in society, today. We are a dying breed.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  8. Joel45acp

Joel45acp Copper BB

Very true gents. On the upside, I now have a fully functional Browning Superposed lightning in 12ga. :D
    Rob poston likes this.
  9. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

For $775! The seller might not have been 100% forthcoming, but in the end, you got the better end of the deal. Enjoy it!
  10. Joel45acp

Joel45acp Copper BB

Do you gents think it would be worth having choke tubes put on it? I hear good reviews of a place in Houston that can do the work. The current barrels are marked *full(top), **mod(bottom).
  11. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Sure...why not !!

BTW...where are the pictures of this Gem !?
  12. Joel45acp

Joel45acp Copper BB

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]

Oopsie, almost forgot. Hahaha
    Rob poston and SHOOTER13 like this.
  13. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

There IT is...Nice !!
    Rob poston likes this.
  14. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Depends. If you plan on keeping it for collector value, I would be cautious. If you plan to use it, however, I say go for it! Sounds like it is going to be a shooter, so I would choke the barrels and enjoy.