Strange way for a dealer to treat an Auto-5?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Wingman, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

Went to look at a really nice Auto-5 last week at a local dealer. It’s a later model than my current 1936 gun, and interesting as the engraving on it quite ornate and the stock really well figured. I was kind of surprised though when I asked the dealer if he had fired it he said he hadn’t “but it cycles just fine” he said. He then proceeded to put the gun barrel down against the floor (carpeted) and push down on the butt to prove that the mechanism worked! I was surprised at this and was worried about damage to the muzzle or barrel itself and made me think that if a dealer treats this way for a sale how was it treated before! I walked away, to consider it.

Its in great condition and at a good price (£200.00 UK) but I am worried he could have caused some barrel damage (although I cant see any)

What do you think guys?
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I'd say if you didn't see any damage, there isn't any, and if that gun is gone when you go back you will have missed out on a heck of a bargain.
  3. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

I have a holding deposit on it, while I decide what to do.

I would never treat a rifle like that for fear of damaging the crown. I guess I was sort of thinking along the same lines but perhaps over sensitive...

Thanks R31 for your response and advice.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I wouldn't treat a shotgun or rifle like that, but any older weapon is much likely to have seen much worse. The difference here is that you were there when it happened.

There are few engraved Auto-5's available in the U.S., and most often they're not by the masters at FN. Even so the asking prices are always over $1000. If I saw a Type III FN-engraved shotgun for $500, I'd buy it almost regardless of condition.
  5. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

OK so I bought it. It's a real sleeper in absolutely great condition i wonder if it's been refinished but the dealer said it was 100% original. Serial number is a late one I think and has 2 piece lifter. I paid 300 UK pounds for it probably the top end of what I would pay for an auto 5 but it's in such fantastic condition.
    20160726_172314-480x853.jpg
    Setters4life likes this.
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

So, you get a Grade III and post just one picture? And that shot doesn't include the engraving? WTF,O?

Looks like 1958, lots of parts will be different than your '36.
  7. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

Hi R31 it's actually a different one to the one I saw originally with the engraving. He had this tucked away on a rack and it's in way better condition than the other. I have a pic but it has my personal phone number and name etc on a hang tag as it's sold but I am collecting it next week as I need to free some space in my gun cabinet. I'll try and blank the info out and post it.

How do you know it's from 58 I thought the serials on world market guns followed year of manufacture?
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Wingman, you should have bought both guns...

Good question about the date. Although Browning changed the serial number system in 1953, FN kept the old system going for World Market guns for some time. Records show #463700 was produced on 30June1957. But according to S/V, Shipping Log #16 is missing, and #17 begins with 60/18701. No one knows the serial number of the last gun prior to the new system, but yours is about 10,000 numbers past mid-1957.
  9. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

Would have loved to buy both guns, but my gun safe is full and I dont want to sell any of my existing collection!

Here is a pic, its not the best and I'll post up more when I get the gun. I think its a pretty basic grade to be honest but it looks like its hardly been shot. Has a plan barrel 30" choked full which I may get opened up a to IM for pigeons. 20160727_124825-600x1067.jpg
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

It looks brand new! Congratulations.
  11. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

Maybe a basic question, but I can swap the barrels between my two guns .. right?

The 1936 has a modified choke, full rib and the new one is plain and full, a bit too tight for close range pigeon shooting (and I am not that good a shot!)..
  12. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

They should swap, but you'll have to try it to see. The barrels had the serial number until 1953, which implies hand fitting. But I have a '53 that came with an extra Miroku-made barrel that works just fine.
  13. Goose

Goose .410

Hi Wingman wont hurt any thing pushing down on the stock this practice taught in amouries
    Hi Wingman .Looks like a nice A5 wont do any thing when pushing down with stock.Usual practice in armories, should never cycle an action barrel up.few old boys lost their heads back in the day when working on auto's. video on youtube of winchester 1911 "widow maker"
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  14. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

Hey Goose

Thanks for that valuable information it makes perfect sense! I have bought the gun now, although its still being stored by the dealer until I make some space in my cabinet. Should have it in the next few weeks and will post up some pics.