Steel Shot?

Discussion in 'Ammunition' started by Cspiering, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Cspiering

Cspiering Copper BB

I have a few older Auto-5s 1959-65 all with fixed modified chokes. Can you shoot steel through these barrels?
    Thanks
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome !!

It's best NOT to shoot steel shot through the older barrels...
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2017
    Rob poston and Rudolph31 like this.
  3. cheunecke

cheunecke Copper BB

I do not agree. We banned lead shots many years ago. We have never seen barrel problems. They will bulge with too tight a choke. Many shotguns from '50 's in daily use.

Sendt fra min GT-I9195 med Tapatalk
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Browning says not to use steel shot in Belgian barrels, or Miroku barrels with fixed chokes. I have seen many posts from those who do shoot steel and report no ill effects provided the barrel doesn't have a full choke.

My opinion is that it doesn't seem to be a safety issue so if you want to risk your barrel go ahead.
    Rob poston and SHOOTER13 like this.
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Well...you know what they say about opinions...

Everybody HAS one.

I'll stick by my guns and say if BROWNING cautions you NOT to use steel shot in the older Belgian barrels...I myself would not do it.
    Rob poston likes this.
  6. Cspiering

Cspiering Copper BB

Thanks and also do you store your auto 5s with the magazine cap all the way tight or a little loose so the forearm isn't touching the metal?
    Thanks
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

After cleaning I store my Auto-5's ready for the next shooting session. That's hand tight -- retract the barrel slightly and tighten.
  8. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

I agree. I do not see a safety issue, as the chamber pressures are the same, but steel is much harder on the barrel than lead shot. In many cases today, the same holds true for full choke tubes (and tighter). One of my gripes with my Beretta A400 was that it's full choke was not steel-ok. I mean, it's a friggin' $1,900 shotgun... I shouldn't have to buy a Patternmaster just to hunt a geese and turkeys with my Hevi-Shot!
    *Grumble, grumble, grumble, grumble* :-(
  9. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Is lead banned all together where you are at?
    In Tennessee, we cannot use lead in waterfowl hunting, but it is perfectly legal to use for upland hunting such as dove and quail, turkey, deer (buckshot, bullets, balls, and slugs), and other non-water area hunting, as well as of course, target and recreational shooting.
  10. cheunecke

cheunecke Copper BB

Banned completely. We use bismuth in forests. Only high performances allowed (1312 ft/s or more). Our old shotguns are punished but no problems at all. Denmark does not follow CIP nor SAAMi rules.

Sendt fra min GT-I9195 med Tapatalk
    Rob poston likes this.