Special Steel Mag.

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by murphranch, Sep 24, 2018.

1. murphranch

murphranch .410

New to the forum, but a lifetime Browning guy. I had the opportunity to buy a Special Steel Magnum the other day from a local gun shop. The owner of the store had taken it in on trade towards a new gun from a guy that said it would not cycle light shells and he had no use for and he wanted out of for $300. I picked it up for $350 and brought it home. I took it apart to inspect and clean and it has 2 recoil springs screwed together in it. Is it supposed to have 2? I put it back together like it was and couldn’t even shove the barrel down enough by hand to lock the action open. I did take 1 spring out of it and shot a box of 7 1/2s through it. It jammed up 4 or 5 times. Any advice?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  2. blackduck

blackduck .22LR

Auto 5 magnums were introduced in 1958. The early guns had a dual spring set up like yours. I don't think you will have much luck with light loads unless you pick up a recoil spring and the brake system from a Light or Standard 12. Or buy another 2 3/4" Auto 5!
    Rudolph31 and murphranch like this.
  3. murphranch

murphranch .410

I figured. Don’t really plan on running light shells through it or shoot it much at all. For the condition of the gun and for the price I gave it can hang out with my grandpas guns in my office. Mostly was curious about the double spring as I’ve never seen it before. To me there is nothing cooler than old humpback A-5s. Thanks for your response.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk