Spare Butt Plate for Auto-5

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Wingman, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

Hey guys

I don't suppose anyone has a spare butt plate for an auto 5 laying about? I have tried to get hold of one over here unsuccessfully and don't want to fit a none original one. Thought it might be worth a shot on here!!

Obviously I am happy to pay a fair price for it and shipping.
  2. thisisdonald

thisisdonald .22LR

I would double up on that and split postage Wingman. I need one too.. a 1954 one for me. Although at this moment I'd settle for anything other than the chipped and filled with black silicon Beretta one that's on my gun!!
  3. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

NC Ordnance do a copy of the original available via brownells but wanted to see if I could source an original. I have a Bisley rubber recoil pad on my mine, nice old english rubber type. It looks like its been properly fitted but it makes the LOP too long for me will probably stick it on Ebay...
  4. thisisdonald

thisisdonald .22LR

I've asked my cousin in florida to keep an eye out for me for parts or donors at flea markets
  5. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

Ok good plan! Have you shot your Auto-5 yet?

I didnt get out this weekend, too much to do around the house but planning to go pigeon shooting on Sunday. That said I have just bought an old 16 bore SxS which I am also keen to take out so will face that decision Sunday morning when I open the cabinet...
  6. thisisdonald

thisisdonald .22LR

Not yet.. I was planning to go tomorrow but that's been scuppered. Wednesday hopefully.
  7. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

Ok let us know how you get on!
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Good luck guys. The originals were made of bone until the switch to plastic in the 60's. The bone butt plates are subject to parasites that can riddle them with " worm holes". They also chip and crack. The only place I know to buy them is on eBay, and getting one in good condition will be tough.

Wingman -- if your gun has a recoil pad there's a good chance that the stock has been cut and the plate won't fit.
  9. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

Dont think its been cut R31, and thats the problem with the rubber recoil pad the LOP is a tad over 15", too long for me. It also still has the curvature of the original so I guess some clown has just screwed on a new one and not thought about it. The recoil pad has been ground to fit well though so I guess thats a slight bonus!
  10. thisisdonald

thisisdonald .22LR

Will do.. do you know the law regarding selling spares.. also if you break guns for spares, how much does it cost to have one decommissioned (chopped) from your license?
    I'm not saying I'm going to do this... I'm a great advocate of getting old guns shooting, but if I buy say 2 or 3 old bangers to salvage good spares to keep one or two guns shooting, I'd rather not have a useless receiver on ticket
  11. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

I have bought several chopped receivers, if you PM me I can give you the name of the person where I get them from he normally has a few full receivers and spares. As long as the receiver cannot be converted to live firing as far as I know you can buy it off license. The ones I have got usually have the first centimeter sliced off at an angle so it would be impossible to use them.
  12. thisisdonald

thisisdonald .22LR

Thanks WM.. pm inbound
  13. SOG

SOG .22LR

Midwest gun works has them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

But they won't send to the UK!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
  15. SOG

SOG .22LR

Go on line. Find the one you want. I'll order it and send it to you. Pm me wth the information. How much can it possibly cost to sent it to the UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

SOG, many thanks I really appreciate your offer!

I have managed to source one here in the UK, just waiting for it to turn up if its no good I'll drop you a PM with details of a replacement.

Thanks Again!