should I do this to this A5

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by crazywolf, Aug 1, 2013.

1. crazywolf

crazywolf Copper BB

I got a well worn and used A5 for a good price.checked out the SN and found it was made in 1927.it's about 50% finsih.but there nothing wrong with it.my wife loves her shotguns and wants a whippet like used back by the gangsters.I was planning to cut it up to make one.I just don't no the values of older browning.am better off just refinishing it or should I just go with the project.need some help.thanks crazywolf :?:
  2. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Hey Crazywolf welcome to the browning owners community!! It continues to become harder and harder to find the old browning A5 in good working condition. I personally would not hack up an old gun like that, i would find an old BPS or another more standard browning 12gauge to whippet. The a5 is such a reliable shotgun so it would be hard me to hack up.
  3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum !!

I would leave that beautiful 1927 firearm in original condition myself...finding something else more current to cut up !!
  4. crazywolf

crazywolf Copper BB

thanks for the welcomes.I talked to my wife and were not going to cut it up now we are trying to decide if we should refinish or leave as is.I do believe at sometime the forearm was replaced.an the stock doesn't have much finish left will try and get some pic's up.it was just dumb luck I got it was looking for a cheap one to cut up and got it off GB and was just wondering when it was made.thats how I came to fine it was made in 1927.I think if the vender would have checked a little I wouldn'y have got it.do have new recoil parts on order so we can shoot it and not beat it to death will save old parts.got to wonder how many peices of game fell to that old girl through the years.crazywolf
  5. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Welcome aboard, from a fellow noobie. I agree with previous comments. The Auto 5, especially pre WW2 models, are becoming more and more rare in working condition. I would leave it be. If you wanted to do a good winter project, you could restore the shotgun, but this could have a negative affect on the value somewhat, depending on the condition of the gun.
  6. I'm not sure what your wanting to cut but if it is the stock and barrel you could watch at some gun shows for ones to cut and save the originals. That way you could always change it back to original.