Shooting steel shot in a Auto 5

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Lead ball, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Lead ball

Lead ball .22LR

Hello again if a Auto-5 says special steel does that mean you can shoot steel shot. The reason I ask is a guy at work has a really nice looking Auto 5 and that's what he says my knowledge of Auto 5s is very limited what do you guys have to say thanks.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Browning will tell you that the old barrels are not rated for steel. The invector barrels you can shoot steel. If you do enough research you will see that people shoot steel shot in the old barrels and have no issue.
    Just like shooting 2 3/4 shells in a 2 9/16 chamber. There are plenty of people that do it will no worries. I guess you will have to make that call for yourself. Just remember just cause it fits don’t mean it will work, or work all the time. Personally my face is near that chamber and my hands near the barrel. I kind of like both of them. You can get away with something that isn’t right for awhile, but eventually it will bite you. How much risk are you willing to take?
  3. Lead ball

Lead ball .22LR

My thoughts exactly, I think he is using it as a way to get me to pay more lol.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The very first Auto-5’s said COCKERILL STEEL on the barrel. In 1903 that was the finest available. Later they changed it to SPECIAL STEEL, but it has nothing to with the steel shot that debuted about 80 years later.

Even those that shoot steel through their Auto-5’s won’t shoot it through a full choke. It will bulge your barrel. Choke is marked by stars, one for Full.
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

If you wanna shoot steel shot, get an invector barrel and be done. Shoot all you want. Steel or lead. They are available. Little pricey but you can do it all with one.
  6. Lead ball

Lead ball .22LR

I don't hunt waterfowl so I don't need to shoot steel shot, I was just curious. Thanks for the info
  7. Ranger6

I don’t either, but I have invector barrels for all my a5’s. Sure much better to have a different choke you can put in a barrel and do anything, skeet, sporting clays, or hunt.
  8. Lead ball

Lead ball .22LR

What kind of price on average do the 12 ga invector barrels bring
  9. Ranger6

400-600
    If your lucky I have got one for as low as 275. Just bought 1920’s 16 gauge barrel with 2 9/16 chamber in really good shape for 400. They are getting harder to find and they have doubled in the last year. If you want a sweet 16 barrel they start at about 600-700 range.
  10. Lead ball

Lead ball .22LR

Your kidding right cause my local gun shop I go to has one that says it's for a Auto 5 3" mag it's vent rib with ivector chokes for 95.00$
  11. Ranger6

Buy it. You can only use it on a mag though.