Scope Mount Question

Discussion in 'Browning BLR Rifle' started by quack4du, Apr 26, 2017.

1. quack4du

quack4du Copper BB

Did the obligatory New Member Intro on that page.
    Looking at new .308 BLR WGM.
    Is there a mount that is rigid (non QD) that allows both reticle & iron sight use?
    Considering Burris 2x7 in 1" tube.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Haven't looked at scope mounts in awhile...but I'm sure someone here will chime in.

{ Optics Planet does have good prices though... }
    quack4du likes this.
  3. quack4du

quack4du Copper BB

So I figured out a good optics combination that will compliment the .308 BLR/WGM in all its "shiny-ness" AND be versatile for short brush and medium range shots.
    Base: Warne 848S (stainless), $15.99 @ Midway.
    Rings: 1" Leupold Rifleman See-through 57400 polished aluminum, $28.79 @ Midway.
    Optics are either:
    1. Burris Fullfield II in 3x9x40, Silver, Ballistic-Plex reticle.
    2. Nikon ProStaff 6723, 3x9x40, also Silver with BDC.
    Both are within $20 price of each other.
    I am leaning towards the Nikon since they have an application where you can determine POI using the BDC reticle dots based on many variables.
    Does anyone have experience with either (or both) the Burris or Nikon scopes listed in this post?
    Opinions (from experience) welcome!

4. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Yes, but there is a drawback.
    You can get "see-thru" (see through) mounts that stand proud of the receiver and have enough clearance to see under most scopes. They will have the middle section extruded so that you can see through them (hence the name). Traditions makes one, as this type of scope setup is fairly popular in the muzzleloading industry. They simply attach to your rail/base as any regular fixed ring would.

There is a drawback to them, however. In order to get the necessary clearance, the rings are typically taller than a standard scope ring. This will bring the scope off of parallel even more, thus affecting your range of accuracy in your kill sector.
    Think about this. The closer your scope sits to the receiver, the less of an angle your sight plane will be at. For example, if your scope is sitting directly on the receiver, and you zero at 150m, your accurate kill range may be 125-175m. If you bring your scope up off the receiver and zero at 150m, your accurate kill range may be reduced to, say, 135-165m. The more your sight comes off parallel, the smaller your accuracy zone will be. It is sort of like holding a flashlight on a spot at floor height. The light will shine on an elongated area. Now raise the flashlight up so you are shining on that same spot at an angle. The light will affectively light up a much smaller area. Hope this helps!

By the way, welcome to the forum!
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
  5. quack4du

quack4du Copper BB

Arrived and assembled today.
    Hope it shoots half as accurate as it is beautiful.[​IMG]

Rob poston and SHOOTER13 like this.
  6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

VERY NICE...!!
  7. quack4du

quack4du Copper BB

New BLR WGM in .308.
    1st shot on paper is lower right.
    Marked it.
    Adjusted scope.
    Next 3 shot string: 0.980"
    Sub MOA.
    Factory Winchester Deer Season 150 grain.
    Bench rest @ 100 yards.
    83F.
    Wind 90° right-to-left at 13mph.
    Happy.[​IMG]

8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Looking good...