Scales

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Ranger6, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 20g

What kind of scale is everyone using? Looking to upgrade to something with an auto trickler. Getting tired of weighing my powder drops. I’m finding out that with the more powders I use the charge weights are all over the place with my bushings. Seems like the newest load with American select is the worst.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 20g

Damn is everyone doing ok?
  3. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

My divorce should be finalized tomorrow, otherwise I'm doing fine.

I never got into the electronic scale thing. When I load my precision .308 ammo, I set my scale about 3/4 of a grain light, and trickle the rest in. A shade slower than usual, but considerably more accurate. Those new-fangled electronic ones seem to be pretty neat. I have never loaded a shotgun shell in my life-----is it customary to be as precise as match-grade ammo? (Admittedly my ignorance is showing.)

And it has been a little quiet here lately.
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 20g

Good luck on the divorce. I’ve been separated for 2 years now, hope to do the same soon. Was pretty rough in the beginning, but for my daughter I have let a lot go. Really difficult when you have young ones in the middle.
    On the reloading note, I don’t believe it’s as critical as riffle rounds. I had a Hodgdon tech tell me a long time ago that they build .5 gains into their load data. Now if your pushing the upper limit then who knows. I done some research on pressure in a modern barrel and from what I read they don’t go boom until well over 30,000 psi. As it’s always good to follow the load for new reloader, but once you have some loading you can branch out some, as I’m sure you know from loading riffle. Pressures are way different in those aspects. I haven’t had a problem until I started using American select. If I were shooting it in a modern shotgun, I wouldn’t care about .5 grain, but since it’s a new load and trying to preserve the old girl, and for patterns I like it to be all the same. Takes a lot of extra time to drop, weigh and then correct. The other thing is if your always dropping .5 grain over it tends to add up when you shoot a bunch. Any savings I can squeeze out, means more rounds out the barrel.
    Yes I agree it’s been really quite here lately.
  5. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger .270 WIN

I own several scales. Hornady, RCBS, olhaus
    The Hornady works fine but not near the quality of the Olhaus 10-10. The RCBS is either made by olhaus or a copy...every bit as good
    I also have an electric Lyman powder dispenser that works great
  6. Ranger6

Ranger6 20g

Hairtrigger is your RCBS an older model? I have heard that they were sold to someone else and now all parts are made in China and their quality has suffered. The RCBS chargemaster is what I was gonna go with, however, if there are issues with them, then don't want one
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Quite Quiet.
  8. win7stw

win7stw 20g

I have two RCBS Chargemasters and love them
  9. Norske

Norske .410

I'm now using an electronic scale I bought from Ballistic Products and I think Graf and Son sells the same one. It's a lot faster than my 3 balance beam scales.

I don't push the envelope trying for that last 100 ft/sec, so once the powder column is settled in my Lyman 55 measure, I only weigh every 5th, or in the case of fine granule powder every 10th charge dropped. If you have good reloading software or detailed manuals, you will learn that a 30-06 case, for example, is forgiving of 1 or even 2 grains of powder. Both the peak pressure and velocity differences are insignificant. One of my pet 30-06 powders shows little difference between 57 and 60 grains, except 60 grains doesn't leave much room for the bullet.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  10. Ranger6

Ranger6 20g

Norske
    I would agree 1 grain don’t make much of a difference at short distance. My distance starts at 1000 yards, so it makes a huge difference. Actually one tenth of a grain makes a huge difference. All depends on what your purpose is with the round. If your just plinking then go for it.
    win7stw likes this.
  11. Norske

Norske .410

Well we have different interests. I hunt black bear from a ground blind. But I used to know Richard Schatz, actually lived about 10 miles from him. I went to college with and shot on a pistol team with Jim Hall. For fun, try to be in Bismarck, ND when the center fire shooters have their 500 yard egg shoot. That's from prone position, no rests.
  12. Ranger6

Ranger6 20g

Sounds like some real fun. The prone position is the only possibility to me
  13. win7stw

win7stw 20g

I live in Bismarck and have never heard of the egg shoot. I’d give that a go
    Ranger6 likes this.