Sarco A5 receiver identification

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Wiley Goodwin, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Wiley Goodwin

Wiley Goodwin Copper BB

I need any information on this receiver anyone can give me. Is that actually the serial number. It is new old stock I think. 12 gage A5small.jpg I believe.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

No. The serial number appears on the bottom, just ahead of the loading port. It may include a letter or a number and letter prefix. The prefix is important to correctly dating the gun.

A picture of the left side of the receiver will confirm whether or not it's a 12 gauge. The cut-off on 16s and 20s is mounted differently on those guns.

[​IMG]
  3. Wiley Goodwin

Wiley Goodwin Copper BB

Thank you! Here are some more pics. I bought this from Sarco. There does not seem to be a serial number and I am wondering what to do about it. :)

Attached Files:

• POL.jpg
      POL.jpg
      File size:
      242.5 KB
      Views:
    • left.jpg
      left.jpg
      File size:
      260.7 KB
      Views:
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

You're welcome, Wiley. Your 12 gauge receiver seems to be from a police riot gun. FN sold a lot of these to South Africa and many went to Rhodesia to fight Robert Mugabe's communists. Sarco still had some of those 8 shot Auto-5s the last time I checked. I'm surprised that it doesn't have the serial number in the usual location. Just a guess, maybe these receivers had no serial numbers and one was added later to conform with US regulations. If you got it from Sarco, the S/N should be on the paperwork?
  5. Wiley Goodwin

Wiley Goodwin Copper BB

I called Sarco and they said the 4 digit number is the serial number. The tag on the receiver confirms the four digit number and there is also another number on the tag opposite the bar code. 23692. Sarco says that these are new and never used to build a gun. They were imported by the Briklee Trading company. I still do not know what the S.E.M. CA. stands for. I am hoping I can build a legal gun from this receiver! I am still looking for my paper work!
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I don't see any reason why you couldn't build a legal gun. In the eyes of the law, the receiver is the gun. But you'll spend more money on parts than you would if you bought a complete shotgun.
  7. Wiley Goodwin

Wiley Goodwin Copper BB

For the economy of the build I am looking at some options like Ebay parts and maybe salvaging an junk gun and etc. Oh. I found the paperwork and it lists the 4 digit number as the serial number. This is a new hobby for me. I have built a 1903a3 and I am close to finishing a 1898 Krag. I have 1917 Enfield lined up for next so the A5 may have to wait a while. Thank you again for your comments!
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

S.E.M. CA. I believe is South El Monte, CA, the address of Bricklee Trading Company.

Have fun with your builds, and have a Merry Christmas.

Rudy
  9. Wiley Goodwin

Wiley Goodwin Copper BB

Merry Christmas!
  10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Wiley !!

Post some pictures of those firearms you mention when you find the time...
  11. Wiley Goodwin

Wiley Goodwin Copper BB