Request ID Help Auto-5

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by sandie mews, Apr 17, 2017.

1. sandie mews

sandie mews Copper BB

Hi, new here. I am a WWII M1 carbine guy so know nothing of the A-5. A women I work with at a local cat shelter asked me to help ID some firearms that have been in her family closet for years. One is this Browning Auto-5 (that is what I believe it to be). I went to the Browning site trying to ID the serial but I am confused and need help. Serial on front of loading port area is 12509, side of receiver on left: BROWNING ARMS COMPANTY ST. LOUIS, MO. Barrel (26", no rib) says SPECIAL STEEL 16 GAUGE SHELLS 2 3/4" (update: 2 9/16). What can you tell me about it? Approx value (I know how wide spread this can be), overal condition is what I would call good. Butt plate that says FN in center and BOWNING AUTOMATIC has lots of chips around the edges. Here is a link to some pics. Thanks for your help, if they sell this it will feed a bunch of the cats at the shelter.

http://imgur.com/a/JXV6q
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum !!

Enjoy our community...

{ I will defer your question to the A5 experts here on this forum. }
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2017
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

You have a 1939 16 gauge Auto-5, made by FN in Belgium. If you look closely you'll see that it doesn't say 2 3/4" shells, it says 2 9/16". It should also be marked 16-65, 65mm = 2 9/16".

My guess is that it is worth $300-$400. The now-standard 2 3/4" shell will jam that shotgun and may be unsafe to fire anyway. Conversion to standard can be done for about $100 -- which is a bargain as there are a lot of steps involved.

Short shells are available but very expensive. I load my own for my older 16's.

Good luck.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  4. sandie mews

sandie mews Copper BB

Thanks for the info. Yes, I just saw 2 / and assumed it was what I am used to in modern shotguns which is 2 3/4, will check later to be double sure. This helps a lot.
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Thanks Rudolph...

I'm not an A5 guy....
  6. sandie mews

sandie mews Copper BB

Yep, just checked, it says 2 9/16!
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Well, Shooter, you should be!
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Learning something new from YOU everyday brother...
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

11. sandie mews

sandie mews Copper BB

Thanks for all the info. I was inquiring for the lady at our cat shelter about this and 2 others, a 1936 MAS and a Hanover Arms double barrel shotgun (which is pretty much a wall hanger) . I am now going to return all three to her now that I have advised the approximate values so she and her family can decide the best way to dispose of them,
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  12. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Good Luck...