REPAIR: My First Auto-5

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Rudolph31, Jul 21, 2017.

1. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

When the match called for revolver only...6 pins / 6 rounds timed...my S&W Model 629 was up to the task too !!

[​IMG]

But wait...I'm sorry.

This thread is about that beautiful Browning Auto-5 of yours...

My bad...
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2017
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Not a problem, Shooter. Look what my wife gave me for my birthday!
    S&W Model 29-10.
    [​IMG]
    ripjack13 likes this.
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I thought I’d add a word about magazine extensions on Auto-5’s. You can buy one that adds 8 rounds, but because the mag is unsupported, I think 3 is the limit (Nordic says 4). Other guns can add a barrel clamp, but the barrel on an Auto-5 reciprocates, so that isn’t possible. Still, an 8 shot Auto-5 is awesome!
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

This is the new, thick rail Locking Block. Using this part requires a new Breech Block to accommodate the thicker rail.

[​IMG]
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Morning all:
    Rudolph31 have you removed and replaced any magazine tubes on the A5. My 36 magazine tube is starting to chip off on the end where the cap screws on. Looks like I will need to make some tools, but looks pretty straight forward. Gonna need barrel extension also. Have old barrel so hopefully it will come off. Just wondered if you had any experience with doing one. This will be my first one on an A5.
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Changing a mag tube or a barrel extension isn’t something I’d want to try. But Art shows how it’s done here:

7. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Well not as bad as I thought. Special tool and a little heat and it came right off. Don’t know the torque on these extensions but I would guess a couple hundred foot pounds.
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

It occurred to me, almost a year later, that there’s an extended screw on the mag cutoff that keeps the tube from rotating. So torque isn’t important because you’ve got to line up the holes.
  9. Ranger6

I agree. Haven’t taken it out yet, but will eventually get it done. I have a Zoli out for re blue that’s been a disaster. Don’t wanna get to many things apart at the same time.
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

11. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I mentioned the necessity of replacing the left extractor when changing to the new style bolt. The old ones do tend to break, so it makes sense that they were beefed up during the design update in 1958. The good news is that the new style can be filed down to old style size.
    [​IMG]