Removing a barrel extension

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Biz, Aug 15, 2022.

1. Biz

Biz 20g

Hello everyone,
    I would like to remove the barrel extension on one of my auto-5. Is they some jig or some way to do it beside going to the gunsmith. Thank you for your help
  2. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Hi Biz if you look at Arts older videos there is one that shows how he does it. Might be few clues for a jig there. Think from memory he clamps barrel between shaped wooden half blocks in vice for holding and has fashioned tool that picks up the chamber and drives off the square hole in extension with huge bit of pipe to swing off
    Ranger6 has done one before probably give his experience.
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I have removed one. They are very tight. I clamped the barrel in a barrel vice and then made a jig to fit the extension. Just make sure the jig fits tight, or its clamped tight. Whatever you make the jig from has to be softer than the extension. It will damage the jig and not the extension.
  4. Fowlgunner

Fowlgunner .22LR

I can't imagine the setup being any less economical than a good gunsmith.

If you are challenged for one of those I am truly sorry.

Good luck, Will
  5. Biz

Biz 20g

It is not a job that I anxious to do but unfortunately, gunsmith are species at risk of extinction in my part of the country.
  6. antman73

antman73 .410

I think weather or not you are trying to save the extension is important. If you’re removing it because it’s damaged you can obviously be a little more aggressive getting it off. I would definitely track down Art’s video.