Remington DU Brass

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Ranger6, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I have been looking for some of these for awhile, and finally ran across some in some classified in Kansas, called and spoke to the guy, and an hour later, we agreed on a price. Let me just say you never know who your gonna meet and what you may have in common. So most of our conversation was hunting, shooting and kiddos. These have no collection value to me. They are way cool and as you all know I like brass.
    These are from 1987, made in Brazil for Remington. They are CBC brass, which is mag tech. If you google CBC Brazil you will get some pretty interesting history. In my personal opinion the valmet brass is much better quality, as it’s thicker brass, but my UMC brass gets it done.

Attached Files:

KyBoB likes this.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

So as always I want to know what’s inside. At first glance they have a roll crimp. The overshot card is not tight, as the crimp holds it in place. The overshot card was a chore to get out to say the least. Looks like maybe 5’s. The over shot card is super thick. The white card is from BP and is the thickest I’ve seen on the market in a long time at .045. Next is a 11 gauge hard card. Not as thick as my hard cards. Next is some sort of plastic cylinder shaped deal, maybe spacer. One side is slightly deeper then the other. I actually had to remove the crimp to get it out. Next is another hard card, same as first one. Followed by the powder.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    KyBoB likes this.
  3. Ranger6

Inside the brass case there are two small holes. I have other CBC brass that the holes are not there. So for some reason Remington decided to use berdan primers vs the boxer type in the other CBC cases.

Attached Files:

KyBoB likes this.
  4. Ranger6

This is what it looked like after it went off minus the anvil that stays with the case, but I pulled this one out, as I will not be re- priming with berdan primers. The primer pocket measurement. Note: some of the berdan primers are corrosive. The difference between the berdan and boxer type primer is the anvil, and most deem the berdan cases as non reloadable. The berdan primed case the primer will set slightly lower then flush.
    Safety Note: I have deprimed thousands of live primers, and yes they will go off occasionally. The DU brass primer was very difficult to remove and went off. Sounds like a fire cracker. You should always wear safety glasses and gloves like I do( ok maybe not). The other option you have is to fire them in a shotgun, the safe way I guess. If they are the corrosive type, make sure you clean after firing them.

Attached Files:

KyBoB likes this.
  5. KyBoB

KyBoB .410

Great info and write up. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk