Refinished Auto 5 lumber

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, May 13, 2020.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

That stock has some beautiful grain. If that scratch isn’t too deep I’d sand it out. If it’s deep I’ve repaired them by mixing in dust from sainding with 5 minute epoxy. You will still see it but it will be flush with the rest of stock. A little war wound here and there adds character
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    rcatastrophe likes this.
  2. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

I have a feeling that particular chunk of wood is going to look incredible upon completion!! I see some interesting grain in that. I have done the dust mixed into the stain procedure on several occasions---it does work better than one would first think!! The first time I tried it I mixed the sanding dust with the tru-oil I was applying. After mixing the two into a thick slurry, I purposely used a sliver of wood and filled in the scratch way before I started on the rest of the stock. It took me a week of adding a minute amount of mixture until it was flush- then finished the entire butt stock. After it was all done, a guy would have to REALLY look hard to find it!
    With that being said, I am a firm believer in agreeing with win7stw----A5s have a soul, a scratch here or there simply exposes a portion of its life. History, if you will.
  3. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

You guys are pretty damn inspiring. Thanks for all the kindness and ideas. It’s not super deep. I think some is maybe oil/dirt that created a star because the surface was open? It’s gonna be interesting. I’m going to degrease, iron, and sand to see what I come up with. It’ll be a few days but I’ll be back with updates. Hell maybe someone (me) will learn from some of this.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I think it’ll be good to go
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

At home for a couple days. The wife went in to get tested for COVID this morning. I had the stock for my 38 soaking and a different forearm soaking in acetone. Took the stock out and it slipped out of my hands. It fell perfectly and took a chunk out near the receiver end. I was PISSED. I glued it back in and hopefully it’ll hold. Started sanding the disaster of a forearm I’m trying to revive. The forearm is cracked, has a dark stain, and some bad scratches. It is currently soaking in Purple Power. Hopefully tomorrow I can make some progress
  6. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Hopefully she will test negative. Thoughts and prayers will you and your family buddy. As far as the stock, sorry to hear that, I would have been pissed and cussing.
    Auzzie likes this.
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thanks man. I knew it was a matter of time before she got it. She is a dental hygienist so she’s at a little higher risk than me.

At least the stock had been cut so it’s not a huge loss. The repair turned out pretty well so far. We will see once I get finish on it. The forearm might give me issues too. The checkering was pretty worn and the purple power soak raised the grain and I might have jacked that up as well.
  8. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

O man, yea I would say she is high risk. I don’t worry so much about myself, but don’t want my kid getting it. Looks like this vaccine has promising results.

Do you recut the checkering?
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I do recut the checkering but I don’t like doing it.
    Ranger6 likes this.
  10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Well the forearm is going to be ok I think now that it’s dried
  11. Ranger6

Good deal.
  12. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Sorry about your stock and I hope your wife is negative. But if she’s positive there’s still a 99% chance she’ll do ok. The new challenge will become keeping the rest of the household safe. My moms 89 and she had it. It was terrible but I took care of her morning noon night and in the MIDDLE of the night and she finally got better. Course I caught it too but for me it was mild, no cough or fever just a bad headache

Soaked my stock in purple power today for a couple hours. It came out much cleaner but there was still a lot of oil in the head. Used my heat gun a bit and wiped off a lot that bubbled out. Cut a water bottle and soaked the head in that for about 30 minutes and then heat gunned it again. There’s still oil so I’ve put it back in the purple power to soak overnight.

Want to show the scratch from yesterday now that it’s clean. I’m sure sanding will minimize or remove it. The hole at the end will just have to fill with French Red.

[​IMG]

13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

[​IMG]

I wish I would have taken a picture of this crack before I glued it. With a little clean up I don’t think it will be that noticeable. I’ve come up with a new clamping procedure. I need to reinstall the reinforcement strip towards the end. I am debating using a strip of wood like factory but toying with using fiberglass
  14. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Can’t wait to see that completed.

15. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

When you recut the checking what do you use? I went over to Brownells to look around and there are way too many options to feel confident I’d get the right thing.

Got my stock taped up so pretty soon I’ll have this project moving along.

[​IMG]

16. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Looking good. Can’t wait to see the finished product.
    I’ve be run using these
    https://www.woodcarverssupply.com/60-SINGLE-LINE-CUTTER/productinfo/887160/

https://www.woodcarverssupply.com/75-SINGLE-LINE-CUTTER/productinfo/887175/
  17. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Had a set ready and filled the grain. I put a coat of oil on it today. Not sure what happened but it looked like ass so I just started stripping it. Hopefully it looks alright after the next round
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    Ranger6 likes this.
  18. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

I’ve got an issue. Every time I put o a new coat of oil it looks fine at first but when it dries it’s got this dull matte finish rather than the high gloss it’s always had. Can this be related to temperature or humidity?

[​IMG]

19. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

How many coats do you have on it? It should start building some shine. I’ve had some where the wood soaks it up and takes awhile to build up the shine
  20. Ranger6

It's not an issue, just means more work. From doing my stock it did the same. I think I put like 18-20 coats on it. Keep adding thin coats, don't try to rush it and put on a thicker coat, like I did, you will have to start over.