Refinished Auto 5 lumber

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, May 13, 2020.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I use disposable aluminum pans and seal with tin foil. I also have a metal five gallon bucket full that I do my first few soaks in.

Unless the stock is full of oil you shouldn’t need to do the acetone soak. A lot of times the firearms are oily. The butt stock usually is good to go. Try the purple power next time and skip the acetone.
  2. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Great posts on timber work. Super informative with heaps of clues and tricks for success. Win7 you have truely inspired others like myself to get in and give it a go.
  3. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Lessons learned so far:
    1. There is no rushing this
    2. Thin coats work best.
    3. I never knew there were so many tiny flecks of stringy dust floating in the air that love to stick to every new coat of oil.
    4. Wet sanding is your friend
    5. Keep on going until it’s right
    6. When this finally finished I’ll be proud but as the days keep adding up it’s easy to begin to wonder if sending it off wouldn’t have been a better option!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    antman73 and win7stw like this.
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I fill a syringe and use a few drops per coat. Dust is a bitch for sure.
    Auzzie likes this.
  5. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Yep. Here’s my “syringe”. Crazy how far one drop goes. [​IMG]

6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Are those screwdrivers from Art? If so how do you like them?
  7. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

I like them a lot. It’s nice to have screwdrivers that fit the slots of these screws exactly. I’ve never bought screwdrivers specific to a gun before but even though they are expensive they really made things easy.

8. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

How much was the set? Didn’t know he even sold them
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I just about bought a set from him. Think they are around $60. I’m happy with the Brownells set though
  10. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Hey win7 you will know answer to this top of your head having done plenty of wood pieces. Will a 65 round knob butt fit straight onto my 38". Both are 12g. Is there a thickness difference in tangs or curves as I remember either reading somewhere on here or on an arts video.
  11. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

It should fit just fine. Sometimes they might need a little fitting. However I believe your 38 will have the thin tang vs the 65 having the thick tang. A popsicle stick is the perfect thickness for a shim to use on the thin tang
    Auzzie likes this.
  12. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

D969710E-7F89-43B9-8C0B-015A9B50F514.png Justin do you get the thin small one for the cartridge stop screw? This one
  13. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Awesome thanks for the confirmation. Got one in mail yesterday sight unseen that has been hacked. Intend to add a piece back on. I just had to gamble as you will laugh as they are rare here .
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

You don’t get that with the brownells set. I don’t believe you get that one in Arts set either
  15. Ranger6

I need one for that screw. Had to make my own. It works but gotta be really careful with it. Several of my auto 5’s have those screws. I think only one has pins. Guess I need to call art
  16. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Don’t call Art. Use a jeweler’s screwdriver. Any hardware store sells them ridiculously cheap. They’re hollow ground, just like screwdrivers for guns, because jewelers don’t want to mar their work either.
  17. Ranger6

good tip. thanks rudolph31.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  18. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

The set from Art’s say Brownell’s on them. I’ve not seen ones from there so maybe they’re the same. Does your set look like this?

[​IMG]

19. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

The ones from Brownells are bits that go into a magnetic holder type screwdriver. Art buys those screwdriver blanks from Brownells and makes his own. He has a video on YouTube showing how he grinds and heat treats them
  20. Ranger6

looks like a Christmas present to me.