Recommended .223 factory ammo

Discussion in 'Browning X-Bolt Rifle' started by Deker, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Deker

Deker Member

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend some factory ammo to put though my x-bolt?

I bought it used and the 55gr Norma 'training' cartridge struggles to group better than 3" @ 100y I'll be loading my own eventually but don't want to buy anything umtil I've found a weight/bullet it likes and I know I haven't bought someone else's duff rifle.

Thanks

Deker
  2. Stonehorse

Stonehorse Member

Every rifle is unique in that some brands of ammo and bullet weights will group differently. What groups well in my x-bolt rifle may group better or worst in yours. Start with buying several brands of ammo in 55 grain bullet weight and find which brand your rifle 'likes'. Given the x-bolt has a 8" barrel twist, I would start with using 55 gr bullets and go from there.
  3. Deker

Deker Member

Thanks, oddly my x-bolt has a 12" twist (was told it was 8 but it wasn't:/ )
  4. Stonehorse

Stonehorse Member

Current Browning catalog has them listed with a 1-8 twist but your rifle with a 1-12 is not a handicap. It just means the slower twist won't reliably stabilize the longer, heavier .223 bullets. Try out some 40 gr to 50 gr factory loads. Once you get into reloading, you will have the opportunity to tune a load to your rifle.
  5. Deker

Deker Member

I was at the range again on Sunday and I'm pretty certain the issue is just with the ammo, I would say 60% are in a 1.5" group with the rest spreading out to 3-4", initially I was worried that I'd bought a rifle that had been abused (or just worn out) but after double checking the ammo and seeing "training" on it I can assume that the ammo isn't the best, however it's Norma brass so now I have 60 empty cartridges I was going to order some Sierra 53gr MatchKings or Hornady 55gr FMJ-BT and do some load development.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018 at 4:56 AM
  6. Stonehorse

Stonehorse Member

Sounds like you have it sorted out. Nothing wrong with Norma brass. The matchkings should be more accurate than Hornady fmj's but you never know for sure until you try.