receiver to barrel connection method MkI

Discussion in 'Browning BAR Rifle' started by unknwn, Jan 18, 2017.

1. unknwn

unknwn Copper BB

I am trying to verify that a MkI (1968) BAR has a threaded connection at the barrel/receiver.
    Has anyone ever had the barrel replaced on an early BAR? (mine is a 30-06)
    My barrel isn't in need of replacement, the crown was allowed to get rusted, and my gunsmith suspects that barrel removal would be required to spin it in the lathe to re-cut the crown.
    If I were to weather the expense to remove & reinstall the barrel, I'd probably have the length adjusted and cut a thread on the muzzle at the same time.
  2. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

I cannot answer your question. I can tell you that I had my BAR's 20-inch heavy barrel threaded (for a brake or suppressor), and there was no indication that the barrel was removed for this procedure (my gun is camo-dipped; the Hog Stalker sub-model). However, I did not specifically ask the shop that question.

Short Action Customs threaded my barrel, if you want to call them and ask or talk about it. They will only do that particular work when they have several rifles scheduled in at the same time, as their much more normal work is building precision (bolt) rifles for competitive shooting, so setting up to thread short-barreled BARs is a bit of a process for them, and not cost-effective for just one or two guns.