Proper cleaning

Discussion in 'Browning BLR Rifle' started by cavmedic, May 20, 2016.

1. cavmedic

cavmedic Guest

I have seen a bunch of cleaning techniques and advice about how to clean your bore. My question is, I have a takedown BLR (makes cleaning a breeze) and I have both a bore snake and a cleaning rod. Can I do it all with just the snake? I know copper gets pretty bad in there. Plus, if I use a rod, can I eye it in instead of using a bore guide since it's a takedown? I know I need to watch my crown and what I put into my bore so is an AK cleaning kit (with steel rods) a bad idea to use?

Thanks in advance.
  2. BrShooter

BrShooter .410

That is a very nice gun worthy of its own cleaning rod. I would really advise against using a steel cleaning rod on it and really suggest that you don't use a steel cleaning rod on any gun. I picked up a fiber gunslick rod from Amazon for under $35. It is well worth it. I had an aluminum one but did not want to use it on my BLR. The more I read about gun cleaning the more I figured a good cleaning rod was a good investment. I hope I have not done too much wear to my other guns
  3. cavmedic

cavmedic Guest

I too keep reading more and more and learn more and more. Thus far I have only used a bore snake. I think a nice fiberglass rod is in my future.

How about the bore guide for a takedown? Is that redundancy or still necessary and preferable?
  4. BrShooter

BrShooter .410

My rod came with one to protect the crown when pushing through the muzzle. If it can be used in the breach end I would use it there too. My concern with going in the breach end is when using a wire brush. They must be pushed all the way through out the muzzle and that, in my opinion, could damage the crown. I know I still have a lot to learn also.
  5. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

I have never been a fan of Bore Snakes, for several reasons. I just use the old tried and true cleaning kit and a bore guide.
  6. cavmedic

cavmedic Guest

I have read that using nylon brushes eliminates the scare for using that brass brush that can hurt the crown. You just need to make sure you have a solvent that is for carbon and one for copper to ensure all fouling comes out. With good solvents, nylon brushes are more than adequate.