PRE- CRIMP MADNESS

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Ranger6, Feb 22, 2022.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I was reading today on another forum and it seems like people always ask the same questions, so that prompted this post. These hulls are the cheddite translucent hulls from BP. They are probably next to the Fiocchi hulls for me, somewhere near file 13. According to BP they are skived and the plastic is .030 thick. I load a fair amount of cheddite hulls and these just don’t crimp like other cheddite hulls. The first pre crimp is the factory mec plastic crimp.

Attached Files:

2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Next is the BP crown crimp.

Attached Files:

3. Ranger6

And last the gaep

Attached Files:

4. Ranger6

Here are the finished shells. You can decide which you like the best. And the 3 different pre crimp heads. What I found is that different hulls like different pre crimp heads. I favor the gaep in most cases, but there are times that the BP or the mec works better then the gaep.

Attached Files:

5. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Would agree your statement 100% .Being the restricted loader of all things Eurotrash have had exact same experiences and observations. The plastic and thickness varies considerably. The plus is there is always tons of empties so can be picky.

Incidentally well done comparison post. Really good . Love to get my hands on a gaep one day
  6. Ranger6

I’m sure Charles can ship to you. If not you know the other route. We can make that happen.