Powder Recomendation

Discussion in 'Browning BAR Rifle' started by ChowDawg, Jan 7, 2013.

1. ChowDawg

ChowDawg Copper BB

Does anyone have a recommended powder or load for a Bar Long Trac .270 Win? I typically use H4381, but I have been reading faster powders are the way to go with Semi's. Any load data would be appreciated.
    I prefer 130gr Barnes TSX. Been really impressed with the results. Shot some Win Ballistic Tips, and they destroyed way to much meat. Really lethal, but not my idea of a hunting round. For some reason my rifle really does not like Hornady. Not sure why. Trying a fresh round of Game Kings. Hopefully I will get some good results with them. :D
    ChowDawg
  2. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I'm just getting into reloading myself and curious to know what people are using/recommend as well.
  3. ChowDawg

ChowDawg Copper BB

I billy, if I dial in a good load o will let you know. For now I am finding Federal Fusion 130gr to be the best factory load. I have yet to achieve a hand load that can match it.
  4. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

yea, federal ammo seems to be most consistent for me as well.
  5. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

The BAR is a very modern design. If it can handle pressures doled out from the likes of 7mm Mag. .300 Win. Mag. or .338 Win. Mag, etc., it must have a stout gas system to handle those factory loads which all use slow-burning powders. That said, I would use the powder you are comfortable with and I'd also try 4350 as well. I think you will be fine with the slower burning powders. If you want to try a slightly faster burning powder, I've always had good luck and good accuracy in many cartridges with 4064.

In other semi-auto gas systems like the Garand or M1A, faster burning powders like 4895, 4064, 3031, and 4320 are the norm. These gas systems are not designed for slow-burning powders.