Picked up my first Auto-5 last night

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Benoitthegr8, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Benoitthegr8

Benoitthegr8 .22LR

Thank you good Sir, I can truly say I'm falling in love with my Auto-5's, these are fine pieces of hardware.
  2. Benoitthegr8

Benoitthegr8 .22LR

Great, now for a rookie question, for my 12 gauge I'm wanting to shoot rifled slug, would this be considered high or low velocity round? I want to make sure the guns friction rings are correctly set up so the shotgun fires and cycles properly, I just have a hard time believing that slugs are considered a low performance load.
  3. kumpe

kumpe .410

I've shot slugs in my Auto-5 and it didn't cycle on the "heavy load" setting. Could just be my gun or the type of slug I was using, I'm no expert.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I suppose they make low recoil slugs, but the ones I've shot made my shoulder hurt. Set the rings for heavy loads, and wipe all of the oil off of the magazine tube. If the gun starts to malfunction, add some oil to the tube before changing the rings. It's a good idea to carry a little bottle in your pocket.

You are going to have to sight the gun in at the range anyway. Find out what works reliably in your gun with your loads. With any load, you want the most friction that cycles.
  5. kumpe

kumpe .410

Don't know what kind of slugs you usually shoot over there Rudolph, but the one I was using had a 1 oz load @1350fps. This is not a whole lot more than a fairly light "skeet" round, and that would explain why it didn't cycle. You're obviously shooting heavier stuff. :)
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Just checked the box. 1 oz. @ 1600 fps. There's some left if you want them...
  7. Benoitthegr8

Benoitthegr8 .22LR

Thanks for the offer, but the shotgun will be shelved for a while. After shooting two loads of slugs we started to hear a rattle inside the gun. We pulled the shell tube apart and there was a nut that had worked its way loose, not sure what it goes to but the gun is going to the smith and will likely be down for the rest of deer season.
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

A nut? I have taken many Auto-5s apart and I've yet to see a nut anywhere. I don't think it came off of your shotgun.
  9. bgold

bgold .22LR

I'm quite confused as well!
  10. kumpe

kumpe .410

Could it have come loose from some kind of home made shell capacity limiter? I'm no expert but can't for the life of me figure out were it could have come from otherwise.