Picked up 3 this week

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by rcatastrophe, Jul 14, 2021.

1. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. KyBoB

KyBoB .410

I like the Auto5
    I REALLY like the Sweet Sixteen
    [​IMG]

Rudolph31 likes this.
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Kybob: nice looking sweet 16. Are those boss shells?
    KyBoB likes this.
  4. KyBoB

KyBoB .410

Thanks. They’re Federal Game Loads.
    It’s factory choked Mod. but it shoots more like Imp. Mod. Some loads near full choke patterns. I have spreader loads for the first shot. Still haven’t seen a grouse ( yet ) so.... jury is still out.

5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I think on later models the length is marked, but not on this excellent pre-‘48 Auto-5
  6. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

So all 3 guns made it in but I never got a chance to take pictures. The beat up ‘48 I took apart and started working on the wood so for now it’s in pieces. The really nice ‘48 wasn’t working right. Should’ve known not to judge solely on appearance. It was near impossible to get shells loaded into the magazine and once there they wouldn’t come out right. I chopped off the tip of my left pinky finger trying when I pressed the button at the wrong time with my finger in the wrong place. Once the bleeding was finished I packed it up and sent it to Art’s.

Threw a two-piece carrier into the package and asked Art to install it while he was fixing anything wrong with the gun. It got there Saturday so I’m expecting a phone call any time now with their diagnosis and plan :)

The 20g was in fine condition. I took it apart, cleaned it up, put in new action and recoil springs, and then installed all new friction parts. It’s sitting in a case along with its younger cousin, a Japanese 20 as I get ready for dove season. I can actually take a picture of that

[​IMG]

KyBoB likes this.
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Wow! I knew Art was a wizard with shotguns, but I didn’t know he could put your pinky back together!
    Ranger6 likes this.
  8. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Lol!! The finger is coming back together from the “tincture of time”. It’s been a week now and healing seems to be on track. Getting close to normal as my body does what it’s supposed to do. Here’s a look at the night of and now. Hope y’all aren’t squeamish but maybe this can be a good reminder of what not to do. Those bolts close FAST and are under a lot of spring pressure. Keep you meaty bits out of the line of fire. Working on feeding issues is difficult and when shells get stuck you’ve got to know where that bolt is and where to put your body parts as you try to get things moving again.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Good looking guns you got there
    rcatastrophe likes this.
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Glad it’s healing. Also glad to hear that Art didn’t get a bloody surprise in the mail.
    KyBoB likes this.
  11. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Ouch ! On the finger. Bet there were a few choice words said when that happened.
    KyBoB likes this.
  12. KyBoB

KyBoB .410

I’m about 1/2 leery when I use the speed load feature. Which isn’t very often.
    I got in the habit of dropping one in the open action and hitting the button on the old Sportsman 48. That way loads plenty fast enough for me.

13. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

LOTS of choice words, mostly directed at myself. Total user failure. I’m gonna give whisky half the blame now that I think back

14. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Yeah I can do that for the first one, it’s just the need to press that button to get the other ones in that drives me nuts

15. KyBoB

KyBoB .410

Did not know you had to push the button to push shells in the magazine.
    The Sportsman 48 does not require it, nor does the Sweet Sixteen ( 64 year )
    Was that on early Brownings? Seems like I read of the carrier going from one piece to two, but I don’t know why or when. You have me wondering now.

16. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Kybob: the old ones with 1 piece carrier you have to push the button. The upgrade to speed load will stop all that non sense. Much better in my opinion since I have bad wrist, it’s a necessity. I have one that doesn’t have speed load and that’s because it’s a 1909 and wanted to keep orginal
    KyBoB likes this.
  17. KyBoB

KyBoB .410

Thanks Ranger

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  18. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Speed Load with the 2-piece carrier was introduced in late 1953.
    KyBoB likes this.
  19. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Heard from Art today. Says my 1947 stealth sweet has been successfully converted to speed load but he needed me to send the barrel and front stock so he can test it. I can’t WAIT to get this gun back.

Rudolph31 and KyBoB like this.