Picked up 3 this week

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by rcatastrophe, Jul 14, 2021.

1. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Hadn’t been shopping for quite a while and then I saw a really old beat up Stealth Sweet that I just liked. I worried because the seller was new and had no rating on GB which I usually try to steer clear of. The wife was in the grocery and I was buying a barrel from Art’s so I had Brad on the phone. He’s an awful nice guy and we were just chatting away and I ended up telling him that I’d just missed an auction where I saw an Issacson bidding and I was going to bid too but forgot about the auction and lost the gun. Then I told him about the Stealth and he gave me his opinion on it after I gave him the auction number. He went searching the net trying to help me find out whether the seller was legit. Can you believe that??!! Talk about great people, that clan is at the top of my list.

Anyway I ended up talking to the guy on the phone and he gave me the story on the gun. It was his granddads and now it was his. He has no interest in shotguns and just wants to sell it. I googled him and he’s a pretty accomplished guy and works in law enforcement so I went ahead and did the Buy it Now minutes after we got off the phone. It’s EXTREMELY well used but I didn’t have a Stealth yet and wanted to join the club.

No sooner than I had my money order in the mail I spotted something I never thought I’d see. A Stealth Sweet in the 16g area that had a starting bid of $199. The guy had no idea it was a Sweet. I’d spotted the gold trigger and safety and scrolled through the pics to see if the seller had included any where I could see the milled out areas in the receiver. Sure enough they were there. I won that one today. I also picked up a nice round knob 20g with an IC barrel so now both me and the wife can dove hunt this year with 20 gauge guns.

I checked off all my boxes this week. I got my first round knob 20g, I finally got a gun with a solid rib, and that rib came on one of two Stealth Sweets, something else I’ve been wanting badly. Hopefully I never develop a “need” for a pre-war model because I can declare, with 87.623% certainty that I have all the Auto 5’s I will ever buy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Not! Even at 100%. You will buy another. Congrats on the three you bought.
    Rudolph31 and rcatastrophe like this.
  3. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Pretty cool you get to go dove shooting with your wife and do some field stuff together. My wife has zero interest in guns and would probably use the 20g on me!
    Great pickups. Now with all that wood refinishing practice we shuld see some real nice stocks and forend pieces to look at.
    rcatastrophe likes this.
  4. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

I once told myself I now had every Auto 5 I would ever buy.........................

about 30 Auto 5s ago, and I am still buying them.

Nice score.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  5. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Well I haven’t quite gotten her to shoot at a bird yet but she likes shooting clays. She comes to camp with us, cooks for us, and has fun looking at new animals. She’s got an eagle eye and assists every time we’re following a blood trail during deer season. Maybe she was just the excuse that I just had to have that 20. I think Ranger is right!

6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Congratulations. I always think the Auto-5 I’m buying is the last. But it never works out that way.
    antman73 and Bill Idaho like this.
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Congrats. I had my eye on the two Stealths. I just about jumped in on the one you got yesterday. But I am like you and done now . I will say this though, I really like the pre-war guns…..
  8. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

I sometimes wonder how small our community is that we’re looking at all the same guns vs we’ve only got limited places to shop and that’s why we’re all there.

antman73 likes this.
  9. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

I suppose the number of people here that could respond to the question "What's the most Auto5s you've bought in a month?" would be somewhat limited?

(Over ten, BTW.)
  10. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Damn Bill, I need to come see you.
  11. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Yes I think that would be a small number. And 10 is amazing. That’s a bunch of guns. I’ve gotten to point that I can have favorites, ones I can’t remember, and ones I think I should sell, the Japanese with Invector comes to mind immediately.

12. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

"Sell" an A5?

I am not familiar with that concept.
    KyBoB likes this.
  13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I sold a couple Jap Auto 5’s and don’t miss them one bit
  14. Ranger6

I wouldn’t miss one either, but do like the screw in chokes. Wish the Belgium ones came with them. I have spare barrels, so no big deal. I would like to find a mag 12 barrel with chokes. I had a new one but traded art for a sweet 16 barrel. O well I like the sweet way better.
  15. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

If you watch the auctions and look at the bids it’s a lot of the same guys. There is a couple members on shotgunworld that I check with before I bid to see if they are going to bid. I don’t want to run up a gun against somebody I know or somebody that really wants it. I’ve gotten a few for a fair price by talking to them first.
    KyBoB and antman73 like this.
  16. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Hi, my name is Robert and I’m an Auto-5-a-holic. I was just on GB watching, just watching, a couple auctions that were ending near the same time. Two Sweets. Enjoy watching knowing I’ve got my “bid privileges” locked securely away. One guy hammered both auctions in the last few minutes. The same dude. The original leaders came back and eventually won but UUGHHHH. I would be sick to think I was winning with a minute left and then have to go up 30%.

Anyway, I picked up the first stealth Friday and I like it. It’s going to be a nice wood project too. Second one was delivered yesterday but I’m gonna wait for #3 to arrive to save a trip to the ffl. I’ll take some pictures as soon as I have them all in hand.

Rudolph31 likes this.
  17. Ranger6

Robert: congrats on the new purchase. You will be right at home here, as we are all auto 5 fans.
  18. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Random question…how is barrel length measured? Would this be considered 27”? Asking because I see people writing 27 1/2” often but never just 27”. Am I supposed to take the barrel off and measure to a different spot?

[​IMG]

19. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Barrel length is measured by closing the bolt and sticking a rod down the bore until it stops. Per the ATF anything not permanently attached, like an extended choke, must be removed if you’re checking legality.

Browning barrels are about 1/2” shorter than advertised since they’re metric conversions.
  20. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Isn't the length stamped in with the proof marks?( As long as Mr. Hacksaw wasn't involved). It will be metric, so a conversion will need to be done, which isn't hard at all.
    And, as mentioned above, the barrel length is from the bolt face to the end of the barrel, or whatever is permanently attached. A Cutts Compensator would be measured from the front of the body, without the actual choke tube in place. A Poly Choke, (I think) needs to have the screwed-on part removed.

There is a chart to show the equivalents in the bible, page 89. 60 centimeters is 24", 65cm is 26", 67cm is (European market only) about 27", 70cm is 28", 75cm is 30",and last but certainly not least, is 80cm which is 32".