Period correct?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by 2LBtrigger, Nov 3, 2017.

1. 2LBtrigger

2LBtrigger .22LR

Been lurking around here for a while, finally bought myself an Auto5 yesterday so I figured it was time to become a member here.
    I am trying to figure out exactly what I just bought. Serial number is 379,xxx which should put it as an FN produced 1952 if my research was correct. All of the serial numbers I can find are matching to include receiver, tang, butt stock and forend. The part that has me scratching my head is the barrel. It is only 19.5 inches, and has a removable choke and full vent rib. It has no # on the ring either, which I thought was put there until 1953? Side of the barrel says
    Browning Auto 5
    ** Special Steel 12GA. Shells -2 3/4"- 28
    Other side has the Morgan Utah stamp with Made In Japan.
    Is this a newer production barrel that someone installed, and did they ever offer this configuration barrel or did someone have it hacked and threaded? Oh and the choke is threaded almost all the way down it's length, I've never seen one like that before.
    Sorry for the long post. I don't have any of it all together as I have a bad habit of detail stripping every used gun I get to see what kind of bones I am working g with. This one had some terrible black paint on it to hide some rust but nothing too terrible.
    Once I get a chance to get on my computer I will upload some pictures.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Hello and welcome to the site!

MADE IN JAPAN is a clue that you have a replacement barrel. Miroku didn't start production until 1976 and the guns were still produced in Belgium until sometime in 1978. Interchangeable chokes were offered in the (I think) 1980's. Invector-Choked barrels are the only ones approved for steel shot. That's not to say that your barrel has Invector chokes -- someone could have had a standard barrel modified.
  3. 2LBtrigger

2LBtrigger .22LR

Thanks for the info! I'm still not sure about the choke, never seen one like it. Here are some pics of stripping it down. I really don't have a concern for it shooting steel since I don't plan doing any waterfowl hunting with a 19" barrel. The rear of the choke has 2ML 690 engraved on it. Any ideas what that means?
    browning2.jpg port2.jpg special steel2.jpg choke2.jpg
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

SHOOTER13 likes this.