Nobody told me these things multiply?!

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Not The 10th Man, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Not The 10th Man

Not The 10th Man Copper BB

I finally took my 1947 Auto 5 out, and it shot absolutely splendidly. I put over 100 trap and skeet loads through it flawlessly, and then another fifty or so miscellaneous shells of mixed shot, manufacture, etc. Not even a hint of a problem with the gun. I had a tough time shooting it, but that's all on me, not the gun. Probably a result of being a die hard 870 guy for 25 years or more.

I was impressed enough that when I was strolling through the local Cabela's Gun library, I couldn't resist picking up another. This one was made in 1957, and has the speed load feature I was interested in. The finish is fairly rough, but the friction rings were set up well and in good condition, the springs seemed good, and none of the screws were buggered. It did include a 30" full choke bbl. from a different lightweight A5, as well as a 24" modified vent rib bbl. from Japan. No two serial numbers match, and someone added a fairly annoying recoil pad to it. I'm fairly certain this is gonna be my workhorse for beating around Alaska. various rabbit, ptarmigan, throw it in the canoe for bear, etc.

Being as it's already been mucked with, I'm not sure what to do with it myself. leave the finish as is? dura-coat it? shorten a barrel for use as bear protection? Shorten the stock? lose the recoil pad? Lots of ideas to consider. I paid $575 for this gun with both barrels. I don't think I got a screaming deal, but I don't think I got ripped off either. It's already fairly beat down and mis-matched, so I don't think I'm gonna ruin a great collectible? Anyone care to share their thoughts on my new range toy and my thoughts for it's future?
  2. Not The 10th Man

Not The 10th Man Copper BB

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Awesome score !!