New Sights for BHP Mk II?

Discussion in 'Browning Hi Power Handgun' started by MF701, Oct 14, 2014.

1. MF701

MF701 Copper BB

Has anyone tried fitting (or having a gunsmith fit) new, bigger sights on a BHP MK II? You know, the model with the rib on top of the slide?

Is it possible or desirable to this?
  2. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

Oh it's possible, certainly. As for "desirable?" how much do you like your Mark II? Cylinder and Slide would do it, that I am sure of. C&S is supposed to be the best when it comes to the HP.

My Mark II has frame damage, apparently it took a blow to the slide stop on the right side and when it popped out it broke off part of the left side frame. The weapon shoots fine but the slide stop can come out if pushed on. When I sent it to C&S for repair I may get Mark III sights up on as the Mark II sights are rather small.
  3. sub-moa

sub-moa .410

sSure, done all the time, it just requires cutting a dovetail where the rib becomes the front sight and...depending upon the rear, a new rear dovetail. Though my personal preference for BHPs is one of the Novak rear sights..."MarkII" or 1911...with the wide rear notch, BUT, the lower and flat top of the Heine can be buried to where the top of the sight is about even with the rib...it just seems to "flow" ;).

Pic Credit: Owner GunsnRovers posted @ 1911/BHP...grip color apparently an acquired taste ;):

IMG_0347_zps9szghmwq.jpg

With all that said, I've got a soft spot...no not that one o_O, for the MkII. When it first appeared...'81, the sights were MUCH better than the original bump 'n hump fixed sights fitted to previous...and even concurrent, BHPs. And...I used one in the mid '80s to clinch a plank owner spot on a new full time CT Team...a career changing event. I've got a total of 10 MkII BHPs...both MkII and MkIIS, some FN marked and some Browning marked imports. Every one is stock...though a couple might be missing the MDS o_O.

With that said, soft spot ;) aside; if a MkII BHP was to be my choice for SD/HD, I'd do the sights like GunsnRover did above...I would fit different grips ;):).
    kcphelps likes this.
  4. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

OK, couple of questions:

1). What's a "plank owner spot" and a "CT Team?"

2). What's "SD/HD?"
  5. sub-moa

sub-moa .410

1) "Plank Owner" = Original member of a newly formed unit.

2) "SD" = Self Defense/"HD = Home Defense
  6. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

Thank you. I usually do well with abbreviations/acronyms but I just finished another Tom Clancy novel, Dead or Alive, and reading all those letters made me think I had another chapter to go. :p
  7. sub-moa

sub-moa .410

Sorry :oops:o_O, prolly spoke more than I should have as well :oops::(. 3 months till I pull the plug for the second...and final, time :cool:. I'll have more time to read...and shoot MY guns, then ;):).....
  8. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

No more cop talk UNLESS you are going to take us for a ride along. :)

(I've actually done a few and those were a blast).

Now that HP with the neon green grips, what color finish is that and what type of finish?
  9. sub-moa

sub-moa .410

:D:D:D

That MkII is owned by GunsnRover over on 1911/BHP...I borrowed and credited the pic, but it appears to be the original finish. MkIIs were finished variously as slate grey or greenish/grey phosphate (Parkerizing) or matte black oxide...some of the last MkIIs were then "painted"...not the "Epoxy" found on most MkIIIs, flat black. Even some of the very first MkIIIs were slate grey/black phosphate/oxide and not "Epoxied". BTW, the MkII and MkIII overlapped in '89 when the MkII ended production and the MkIII began full series production.
    kcphelps likes this.
  10. kcphelps

kcphelps Copper BB

Yes, my MKII is from '89.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  11. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

That's your MKII in the picture above KC...?!

{ GunsnRover }
  12. kcphelps

kcphelps Copper BB

Yes it is.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  13. sub-moa

sub-moa .410

UR already famous here GunsnRovers ;):), welcome aboard :D...