New owner of Maxus Sporting

Discussion in 'Browning Maxus Shotgun' started by Dallas_CMT, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

I finally took delivery of my new Maxus Sporting, yesterday - the 28" model.

It took 11 days to "get" it from my FFL - For some reason I was "delayed" on the ATF background check, and that came at the worst time of the year. I went to receive it on Friday 12/20, was delayed, and the Texas State offices were closed last Tue-Thu for Christmas. So I had to wait three full business days which were Mon 12/23, Fri 12/27, and Mon 12/30 - picking it up Tue 12/31, 11 days later! What a bunch of bureaucratic crap! I had a CCL at one time, too.

Anyway, it's a beauty. I did a basic cleaning and wipe-down to get the heavy factory oil off, and cleaned the bore. I was surprised how dirty the bore was - got three dirty patches out of it using just gun oil. I guess that's from factory test firing.

I didn't realize the Sporting did not come with the magazine cut-off. I thought all the Maxus guns did. I guess that's just on the Hunter and other hunting-geared guns. I don't see this as a big deal but I would have liked to have that feature since I will use the gun for bird hunting as well as clays - but it'll be 98% clays...

It amazed me how easy the gun comes apart - the gas system is just two pieces and a spring, and it's all easy to get to. I'm gonna love shooting it, and now I can give the 1959 Browning Double Auto Twentyweight a rest!

This may sound dumb, but the Maxus Sporting at about 7.3 pounds seems heavy to me! I'm used to the Double Auto weight of about 6.5 pounds. I won't miss the recoil, though... that Double Auto does have a little kick to it.

I think I'll go pattern it at the indoor range, tomorrow night. Got some 3" 1400fps BB shot shells sitting here for patterning and break in! :shock:
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Congrats...where are the pictures !?

And before you say you can't post 'em...try using PhotoBucket.

It's free & easy... ;)
  3. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Congrats on the new Maxus sporting!! Yea i believe only the hunting models come with the magazine cutoff. Let us know how it does at the range when you finally make it there. All the best.

BTK
  4. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

Yes, I know, and have a PB account. It's just that most folks can google and find better pics than I can take. ..like these:

http://www.danhonovich.com/p523727698
  5. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

I will take some pics though... 'cause it's mine, and I can... :)
  6. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

I was surprised that on the Browning website, for the Hunter model, it shows the mag cutoff lever on the gun photo, but does not list it in the Features list. Other hunting models show the mag cutoff and also list it as a Feature.

I looked for a link to email them to tell them, to no avail. Oh well.
  7. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

I took the Maxus Sporting out today for it's first shoot. The field was crowded and I thought I was in for a long wait for a skeet or trap field.

There was a guy sitting alone waiting, we got to talking - he had a new gun too, had never shot it, had never shot any type of clay's, and was waiting for a trap practice stand - but didn't even know what that was. He didn't even know he had a choke tube, or what choke it was (it was modified). So I invited him to join me (I was going to shoot alone) and now we have another shooter addicted to the sport of clays. BTW he did pretty good, about 10/25 his first time using #7.5 shot, modified choke, and an off-brand 12 ga. pump.

Anyway, the Maxus did well. I only got off two rounds of skeet, the first round was really just showing the new guy how to shoot, mostly from positions #1 and 7. My second round I hit 21/25.

The Maxus performed well - it's the softest shooting 12 ga I've ever shot. It swung well, and I really enjoyed shooting it. I used the skeet choke and 1-1/8 oz of #8 shot. I think I'll easily get my first 25/25 with this gun.

I did have a couple of learning experiences. To get the speed-load to work, I have to push the shell in pretty much with the tip of my thumb. When I "comfortably" push the shell in with my thumb, I naturally press the carrier up/in as well to open the area up to easily push the shell into the magazine. Problem is, the round won't auto-chamber with the carrier pressed in a bit. If I press the round into the magazine and then remove my thumb, lowering the carrier, the first shell just sits there in the magazine. Then if I press the bolt release button, it won't chamber. I have to press the shell into the magazine with the tip of my thumb, holding it in, make sure the carrier was fully lowered before I pull my thumb out quickly to get the round to auto load.

It seemed odd at first but once I got the hang of it, it wasn't so bad. Just not real intuitive and a little picky. Anyone else experience this? Tip of thumb is a little sore.

Also, when putting in the 2nd shell I noticed that if I wasn't careful, it would "go in", but sometimes was not all the way in, seemingly hung on the end of the carrier. One time this caused the dreaded 2nd shot misfire where the 1st round fired, but the 2nd round was found sitting on top of the carrier. But overall, if I make sure the 2nd round is seated all the way in, it chambered properly 100% of the time.

Otherwise the gun performed without incident and no issues. I'm happy with it.

I cleaned it and after just 50 rounds, the gas piston was pretty dirty. There was even some baked on residue on the magazine tube that I could not get off. I need to get a Scotch Brite pad so I can scrub it harder, I guess. Rubbing hard with Hoppe's and a rag did not remove it. Maybe Frog Lube will help keep that baked-on stuff from caking up.

I also fired my 102 year old Winchester 1912 (first year production) 20 ga. today, 4 rounds. I just recently had the chamber opened up to 2-3/4" and had to fire it. It's full choke, so hitting clays was a challenge. It's a great old gun.