New member and new (to me A5)

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Jim Birke, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Jim Birke

Jim Birke Copper BB

Just picked up a Belgium browning A5 from a gun show. It was sold as a 'utility" gun meaning it has some very small rust spots on the barrel and some scratches in the woodwork otherwise everything is tight and the action works smoothly. The serial number is 135010 and it has the safety on the front of the trigger guard. From what I have been able to learn, this feature indicates it was made between 1946 and 1951. Its been in storage for about 5 years and needs to be field stripped, cleaned, and lubricated. I've downloaded an owners manual but it appears to be for a later model (safety at the rear of trigger guard and the forearm assembles to it differently).
    I'd like to know if anybody can tell me when it was made and where I can get the correct manual for it.
    Jim B.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The trigger guard safety was used from 1904-1951. Your gun, assuming it's a 12 gauge, was made in 1929. Everything in your owners manual applies to it except Speed Load and of course the safety. There is nothing different about the forearm.

As the owner of an older Auto-5 you may need to replace some parts. My favorite source is Midwest Gun Works. They also have a free download of the Field Service Manual.

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/ctgy/browning-auto-5

I would suggest you start by replacing the Action and Recoil springs. You'll need a set of ultra-thin screwdrivers they sell for Brownings.

Last, Art Isaacson is the foremost Auto-5 expert n the country. But if you have problems you can't fix you can send it to him for repair.

http://www.artsgunshop.com/

Art has several videos on YouTube that you'll want to watch also.

Last, their is a ton of information on this website. Happy reading.
  3. snapcap

snapcap Copper BB

The Radocy Manual ,available from gun show books .com is very good. For surface rust I would highly endorse Kroil and an a Acid brush with the bristles trimmed to 1/2 length.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  4. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

I kinda want an A5 with the front-trigger guard safety. I also like the serialized receiver screws. Get your shotgun worked on, get it cleaned up, and hit us with some pics. Do you intend to hunt with it?

I now have five Auto 5's and each one is a "full" choke. I have hunted with the two 12's, once in October of 2004 and again in October of 2010. I have fired a total of two shots while hunting, both one-shot kills on squirrels. Hopefully I'll make use of the 20 and 16's this year but I say that every year. :confused: