New here and a 20 gauge question

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by In The Ten Ring, Aug 25, 2015.

1. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

I have a Browning 20 gauge, marked "Twenty" on the left side and with the hammer cocked, I cannot move the bolt all the way to the rear. It moves about 1/2 of the way and stops.

1). Is this normal?

2). If it is normal, how do I unload it without shooting it?

3). If not normal, what is causing this?
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Not normal. If anything, it should be easier to cycle when the gun is cocked. Normally I'd say the shell was sticking in the chamber, but you say you can retract the bolt half way, so that's unlikely.

You can remove the barrel to unload the gun -- not the safest procedure, but there's no choice other than firing it -- which I don't recommend. Then see if that makes a difference.

Most likely you'll need to disassemble the gun. I'm guessing some problem with the Link, Action Spring and its Follower, and the Action Spring Tube.

You can download the Field Service Manual here:

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/ctgy/browning-auto-5-field-service-manual

If you need professional help, I recommend Art's Gunshop:

http://artsgunshop.com
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Ten Ring !!

...and thanks for the assistance as usual Rudolph.
  4. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

Thanks guys. I sent that Art fellow an email, I may send it to him.

I don't think Browning fixed Auto 5's anymore and I cannot get ahold of Jim Green from Maine. My preferred gunsmith in WV still has weapons I left with him over a year ago. :-o
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

They're normally happy to give advice over the phone, too. But unless the Action Tube has broken off the receiver and a new one needs to be silver soldered in, you can most likely do the repair yourself. Between Art's videos and the FSM, you'll figure it out.

Once the stock is off and the trigger plate is out, check that the Link is still engaging the Action Spring Follower. Also, there may be a burr in the receiver track, if so you'll have to take the gun down further.

Now would be a good time to do a through cleaning, and replace the Action and Recoil Springs. Midwest Gun Works is the best source for parts.

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/ctgy/browning-auto-5-parts

Good luck!
  6. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

Well I have so many projects going on right now, I'd rather not have to deal with this shotgun too. I know it's best to fix things myself but I just have so much to fix right now it's crazy.
  7. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

I called Art and I plan to ship the rifle to him tomorrow for a fix. Thanks for the suggestion Rudolph31.
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Good luck! I hope you watched Art's "Gun Shipping" video. He receives a lot of guns damaged in transit.

Let us know how it works out.
  9. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

I didn't watch any videos (but will since you mentioned it, thanks) but I was going to send it certified, signature receipt in a plastic rifle case.

I asked him about the case and he was fine with that.

What do you think? Sufficiently protected inside of that?
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Probably fine. CARDBOARD boxes should be packed with the barrel removed and each piece bubble wrapped. More tips in the video.
  11. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

Thanks man. The barrel seems fine (although it has a distinct purple tint to it) and Art suggested me not even sending the barrel.

I have been buying rifles and shotguns and having the seller pick me up a hardcase at my expense for some time now. I have like a dozen of those! LOL