New A5 fire and feed issue

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by blwillson, Apr 6, 2015.

1. blwillson

blwillson Copper BB

I've been searching for an answer to this, but haven't seen it elsewhere. Sorry if it's a repeat.

New model A-5 stalker, 3 in Remington hypersonics, but NOT New Model A-5 hunter (best gun I've ever used for upland game) (1300 fps, 1 1/4 ounce load, 2 3/4 shell)

Bolt sometimes does not go fully into battery (as it turns out), hammer seems to fall but no fire. pull the bolt latch and cycle the action, but no shell rises to the the feed.

If i notice the problem before the attempted shot, i just have to hit the bolt handle forward, to drive the action into battery and the gun functions normally.

I take the bolt out and use gun scrubber on it and then some beretta oil, and the problem resolves for a while, but not even two boxes of shells.

Please help me with what i'm missing.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum sir !!

How new...!?

So new you can take it back for warranty work !?

Also...what brand of ammo !?

Some ammo throws a lot of unburnt powder into the action...causing your described problem.

Over oiling it can attract that unburnt powder to the bolt / receiver.
  3. blwillson

blwillson Copper BB

l Doubt it was over oiled. Brand was Remington hypersonics, as noted above. Not so new that I could take it to browning for warranty work altho taking it down to Arnold to the shop is surely a player.

But your comment about the powder soot/dirt does make sense. Situation currently Requires that each time it's cleaned, the bolt be cleaned at least with gun scrubber. The issue also makes the gun temperature sensitive.

But what's more, i didn't get why pulling the bolt latch on the bottom doesn't release the next shell in the magazine to feed when i cycle the bolt. Is there a requirement for the gun to have fired (i.e. recoil to have been generated) for that to work?

Thanks!
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Just took a shot ...maybe a gunsmith could help better !!
  5. blwillson

blwillson Copper BB

Yup I'll see. Thanks for the effort!!
  6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

No problem....