New 1911-380 arrived!

Discussion in 'Browning 1911 - 380 Handgun' started by Ceapea, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Ceapea

Ceapea .22LR

I picked up my new 380. It is the all black model with three white dot sights and black and white G10 grips. Very nice! The trigger is a great surprise in that there is very little creep. Almost none, really. Slight take up, then the wall, then the break. The break is a bit heavy, at 6#. But I expect it to break in and get a bit lighter.
    Best news is, my wife likes it!! And is "excited" to shoot it!! I have never heard her say that about any of my other pistols. I ordered 4 extra mags, for a total of six. I've got TONS of ammo for it. Now to get it, and her, out to try it out. It is small! I will need to pay close attention to how I hold it. Being a 1911, with the beaver tail safety and all, I can still see it biting my thumb. That and it is uncomfortable to place my thumb on top of the safety. I need to hold it off to the side. I actully find the G10's a bit agressive. I have G10's on several pistols and have not noticed their bite. I believe the "modified" grip that I need, is causing me to hold onto the grips a little differently than on the other, full sized guns.
    Minor issues, those few. I really think that we will both love this sweet looking little 1911.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Sounds awesome...enjoy it !!
  3. Ceapea

Ceapea .22LR

Well, it's been awhile now. I still haven't had the new pistola out for it's maiden voyage. Work, and an otherwise busy schedule has kept it in the safe.
    I have, however, had the opportunity to dry fire it several hundred times. I believe the trigger has smoothed out a bit.:)
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

That's the way to do it...
    Ceapea likes this.
  5. Ceapea

Ceapea .22LR

An unexpected break in my schedule allowed me a few hours to head to the range today. A buddy of mine and I wanted to run a few rounds thru our Glock pistols to prep for several upcoming indoor matches. Anyway, after shooting 50 or so from my G22, I brought out the new Browning. Never had a live fire experience with it yet. So, I loaded up all six mags and set the target at an optimistic 10 yards. Hey, why not? I could hardly believe how well it shot! Easily, all 8, then 16, then 24 rd went into 3.25" at 30'! I brought the target in to double check. Yep...wow! Slow, careful aimed fire. So set it back out at a more reasonable 20' and let off the last three mags. Pretty much the same, if not slightly better. This gun is a shooter! All rounds went to POA, center hold...which for me is the preferred hold. I tried several mags out at 45' and was able to keep most (about 24 of 32 rd) in 4.25"...way better than I was expecting. Overall group for 32 rd was 4.75"
    I ended up shooting 150 rd today (way more than with the Glock I went to practice with...) and had zip, zero, ziltch in the way of problems. All six mags fed flawlessly, which to be honest, I was a little concerned about after reading about so many that had feed/feed lip/early, live round ejection issues. Nothing! I was very impressed and excited to see it run like it did. My buddy shot 3 mags and was equally impressed.
    One odd thing I noticed, not that it had any affect on operation, the barrel ramp has three small ripples, or ridges on it. I can see them, and easily feel them with my finger nail. Pretty substantial really. I'll run a variety of HP ammo to see if anything hangs up. If so, I'll give Browning a call. Right now, I couldn't be happier with it's performance. Wow!
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Good to hear...I would like to pick one up some day.

Not sure if I want the .22 or the .380 though...I already have two .380's...but don't have a 1911 in .22 yet.
    Ceapea likes this.
  7. Ceapea

Ceapea .22LR

If I didn't already have a Nelson Custom conversion for my 1911, I'd buy a 1911-22 in a heartbeat, based on my experience with the 380.

Edit:
    I am in no way, comparing the Nelson conversion to the Browning 1911-22. Just that if I didn't already have a way to shoot 22 lr from a 1911, I would think that the Browning 1911-22 would more than satisfy my needs.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Copy that...
  9. Toakey

Toakey .22LR

I own both the Browning 1911-22 and the 380 Pro models. They are two of my better shooting guns. I did have a few failures with one mag so I closed up the mag lips per suggestions in this forum. Haven’t had a problem since. While I really like the light weight of these guns I do wish they used a little more aluminum and less plastic in some parts.

Merry Christmas to All!
    Ceapea and SHOOTER13 like this.
  10. Ceapea

Ceapea .22LR

I'v got a question for the other 1911-380 owners. Does your gun's slide seem to be very loose on the frame?
    Yesterday, after shooting my new pistol for a second time (another 180 rd down range...100% trouble free for over 350-380 rd. so far! I love this little pistol...), getting ready to clean 'er up a little, I noticed that there is just a little slide "slop", wobble if you will. Slide to frame wobble, that is. And it is with the hammer down. With the hammer cocked, there is a BUNCH of wobble! Barrel to slide fit is tight in either case. But I have never seen this much movement (side to side, both rocking it on an axis, and left to right slipping) on any pistol that I have handled. And that, is a bunch of pistols. Both the rear and the front of the slide has this movement. I usually notice most, if any at all, movement is in the rear. At least, on 1911 style guns anyway.
    So how about it? Any unusually sloppy slide to frame fit stories out there? So far, it doesn't appear to affect accuracy. I will continue to monitor it as I go on shooting. If it gets too bad, I'll give Browning a shout.
    By the way, did I mention, I love this little pistol!!
  11. MutinousDoug

MutinousDoug .22LR

Barrel to slide fit and barrel to bushing fit is...loose in my pistol. The link could be a skosh taller too. Until Browning gets around to providing spare parts and/or some aftermarket outfit provides oversize bushings and slide rails we're going to have to live with GI level slop in the fit. If the 1911-380 becomes a BIG hit then, after 100 years or so, we can expect aftermarket support like the original 1911.