New 1911 22 A1 Ammo Test

Discussion in 'Browning 1911-22 Handgun' started by 1MOA, Oct 25, 2014.

1. 1MOA

1MOA Copper BB

Hello folks. I'm a new member from Kentucky and I felt that I had to write about my first trip to the range with my new Browning 1911 22 .

I looked at the reviews on so many 1911 22 pistols, but when I picked up various guns they felt inferior. I thought maybe I was too critical and was maybe comparing the pistols to my very well-made 1911 45 autos. Keeping that in mind, I continued to search and didn't like what I read or felt when I picked one up but that all changed when I was handed a Browning 1911 22 A1.

The 85% size comparison to the full size 1911 did not bother me. The smaller pistol just felt right, and so well built, that I purchased it and took it home. I sat down and read the Owners Manual (I normally don't do that) and uncovered lots of good stuff on initial cleaning, ammo requirements, the safeties, and maintenance.

Well, I performed the initial cleaning and then took the 1911 22 to the range. I shot 30 rounds of CCI Mini Mag HP, 40 rounds of Remington Golden Bullet RN, and 100 rounds of Winchester M-22 RN. There were no gun or ammo issues. For reliability, the pistol was perfect for the ammo used. I would of shot more but got tired of reloading the magazine.

The accuracy was very good. I shot at a 8 1/2" x 11" target with a 3" bullseye at 7 and 10 yards. Although, the suspended targets were slightly swaying back and forth, I landed around 70% in the bullseye. Between, the target swaying, the small black sights on the black bullseye, and some possible inconsistent hits with 22LR, I feel starting out at 70% was ok but requires some more familiarity of the gun (plus using stationary targets).

While shooting, I never thought of the gun's 85% size. It felt comfortable and aimed nicely with very little recoil. With the slight recoil, the 15 oz weight, and how easy sliding rack, would make it a great gun for a female, teaching a child, or an individual with some hand pain/strength, issues.

Cleaning the gun was as easy as any other 1911. They're basically the same.

Overall, I love the little 1911 22 A1 and it is a keeper. Good job Browning.

My negatives:

- I don't like the magazine safety (although the hammer can be released without the magazine by pushing the magazine release button).

- (With my pistol) to insert a magazine, I have to depress the mag release button. (That sucks)

- The plastic Recoil Spring Guide. I have real concerns about its durability. I know lots of Guides have failed but I hope a 3rd party manufacturer produces a metal replacement someday.

- Finally, come on man, (1) magazine? Really? Keep the lock and give me an extra magazine. I spend more time reloading than shooting. And no, I'm not ready to spend $30.00 (or more) to get an extra mag. Not after what I paid for the gun. I feel the gun's worth the price but they could provide some extra mags. One mag is pretty much the trend these days with new gun manufacturers. (Wonder why Glock, provides 2 (G 42) or 3 (G34) mags with new guns?)

Anyway, it's a great gun that even John Moses would love.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum 1MOA !!

Let's see a few pics of your new Browning 22...
  3. 1MOA

1MOA Copper BB

Thanks for asking. Here's a photo of the star of this post.

Attached Files:

SHOOTER13 likes this.
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Very nice sir...

Thanks for the honest review of your new firearm...( I'm with ya on the xtra mag too !! )

Enjoy the forum...
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2017
  5. Dan Carey

Dan Carey .22LR

I agree 100% with the one magazine statement. I mean, Really Browning!? One magazine!? C'mon. I don't have to press the release
    to insert a mag but I do have to give it a bit of a shove before it locks up. Time will tell if that situation improves.
    I can add that I've put about 100 rounds through mine so far with no issues at all. All of it was Federal standard velocity ammo.
    My wife loves it, too.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.