Need some help.

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Chad Moore, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Chad Moore

Chad Moore Copper BB

Hello Everyone, 1st time poster here so I hope I'm posting this to the correct area of this forum.

I have a 1928 Model A5 that had been passed down to me. The shotgun I believe, is in great condition for being 88 years old. It still fires like a champ. I am trying to get some info on this particular barrel. Without actually taking it to a gunsmith yet I have not found any info or seen another one like it on the internet. hoping some of you may know what this type of barrel is used for.

Thanks for any help you may have.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Chad !!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...a MANDATORY step for membership !!

Enjoy the forum.
  3. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

Hi Chad

Can you post a photo including any stampings or markings on the barrel?
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Use Photobucket...

Free...Easy...Resizeable Editor... Image Storage
  5. Chad Moore

Chad Moore Copper BB

The Barrel on One Side says Made in Belgium. It also has the serial # 125152 which matches the serial # on the bottom of the Frame. And on the other side it say FULL 12 Special Steel, and some other stamping to small to see. Thanks
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Looks like an early Compensator or maybe Choke...
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2016
  7. Chad Moore

Chad Moore Copper BB

Just found it online after looking for more Barrel Markings. It is a Cutts Compensator. Now to figure what the purpose is.
  8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

The Cutts Compensator was also used on the Thompson SMG...I own one.

A recoil compensator is a device connected to the muzzle of a firearm that redirects propellant gases to counter recoil and the unwanted rising of the barrel during rapid fire.
  9. Chad Moore

Chad Moore Copper BB

Interesting! This compensator has 2 attachments. The short one that is shown in the pic, and also a longer one that I believe is designed to hold a tighter pack on shot. Do you know if it is safe to fire deer slugs through this compensator?
    '
  10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

I would NOT fire Deer Slugs through a compensator...or choke for that matter.
  11. Chad Moore

Chad Moore Copper BB

Thank you!!
  12. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Your Cutts featured the very first screw-in chokes. Many Auto-5's of that era sported them for the brand new game of Skeet.

As to the compensating effects, I've never noticed any, and don't see how there would be since there are slots both top and bottom. The Thompson's Cutts only has slots on the top.

Shooter13 may know something I don't, but I don't why slugs would be a problem, especially if you use your "Spreader" choke.
  13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Shot your gun yet?
  14. Chad Moore

Chad Moore Copper BB

I have many times. But its been awhile, and never really looked into the history and features.
  15. Chad Moore

Chad Moore Copper BB

Well I've always wondered about slugs. After reading Shooters reply I talked to my father who has owned the gun for a long time and he told me he has shot countless slugs through this compensator. It has such a design that I was wondering if it was ok. I know it was used for deer hunting in Western NY, but my father also shot duck and pheasant with it as well.
  16. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

That is correct...the Cutts on my Thompson only has slots on the top...to use the gases to force the gun down during bursts of fire...

[​IMG]

I also have never shot slugs through any choke...as they are made to constrict pellets into tighter groups for longer ranges...

If you have Rudolph...doesn't it make sense the choke might be ruined ?

Over my decades of shooting... I've always removed any constricting device...ie choke...before firing any type of slug.

Just me I guess...
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2016
  17. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I shot slugs just one time, through a Poly Choke. They are by no means my area of expertise, but it is my understanding that the slugs themselves are small enough to safely pass through a choked barrel and rely on the wad to make the gas seal. But I could be wrong and will defer to an expert. Poly Chokes have a "Slug" setting, and the "Spreader" choke on the Cutts is larger than bore the diameter, so I'm pretty confident that at least those two are safe.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  18. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

SHOOTER13 likes this.