Need help with this

Discussion in 'Browning 1911 - 380 Handgun' started by wchancey, Apr 13, 2017.

1. wchancey

wchancey .22LR

I was just on one of the 1911 forums that I read and there was a couple of posters that are going on how the browning 1911-380 is not a bad firearm just not a real 1911.

This struck a nerve with me , I have a few 1911's and I would consider the Browning to be a real 1911 , what say you is it a real 1911 just because is is 85% in size a polymer frame and the barrel link is not pinned to move.

This was one of the comments , I guess I'm not smart enough to argue with them.

"Most of the parts are 1911-pattern (but smaller than "real" 1911 parts.) The frame is a two-piece affair. The barrel is a linkless design somewhat reminiscent of the Witness / CZ design. I have one sitting around to be Cerakoted that is missing its front sight. Apparently some of these sights were dovetailed and some models had a snap-in tenon design (which is what this one is)."
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

It is a "real" single action 1911a1 platform...designed to be small for concealment carry...and therefore, all the parts are sized relative to the design.
  3. MutinousDoug

MutinousDoug .22LR

It's a real 1911 derivative. Similar to a SS Gov't model or one with adjustable sights. Same with a Commander or Officer's model.

Not blessed by St John?

Not "real"

Want to try a bite of my candybar?
  4. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

This is a sore spot with me. I have heard the same, but it is a scaled down 1911 in a .380.
    To the purist, only a .45 acp is a "real 1911", but as far as the design is concerned, it's the real deal. The 1911 frame has found it's way to the .380, 9mm, .45, and 10mm platforms. All are fine firears in their own right, and all have their strong points and short comings. There are 1911 style .22lr handguns as well (I have the Sig Sauer), but most (Browning aside) share little if anything, with the traditional counterpart.