Need good gunsmith for butt stock repair

Discussion in 'Browning Semi-Auto 22 Rifle' started by Sam McKerall, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Sam McKerall

Sam McKerall Copper BB

I have a pre-1955 Grade I Browning Belgian-made wheelsight SA 22. Bought it online. It was damaged in shipment due to poor packaging. The butt stock is cracked in about three places right where it attaches to the receiver. It was crushed by pressure from the side to the extent that the stock bolt is slightly bent. I've ordered a new stock bolt.

There are many opinions online as to how to fix this. Different choices of glues. White glue. Yellow glue. This epoxy. That epoxy. I understand the cracks should be reinforced with brass pins. Or maybe steel pins. The more I think about trying to do it myself the more I think I should have it done by a competent gunsmith, but I have no idea how to find one.

These are small cracks and I don't want to have to refinish the stock. I like the way it looks and I prefer to leave it as is. I understand this can be done without damage to the finish if the cracks are small enough, and I think these are.

I would appreciate a few recommendations.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum !!

Enjoy our community...
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2017
  3. jONNYB

jONNYB .22LR

Have repaired my A5 gun several times using epoxy. Open crack from inside the butt stock in order to insert glue. Wipe the stock clean and wrap with duct tape or squeeze with clamp(s). You may be able to hide the cracks with pencil-type wood filler that matches or followup with a stain. Some glues will allow staining. If the cracks are just hairline, just try and fill the gap vs opening them up and creating a bigger problem.

Good Luck!

Jon
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  4. Sam McKerall

Sam McKerall Copper BB

Thanks, Jon

I've made up my mind to do it myself. Bought three soft-jaw clamps from Harbor Freight today for $1.95 each. Bought hypodermic syringes from the drug store to insert the glue. Studying the cracks carefully with a 30x magnifying glass. Quite revealing. It lets me better understand the task presented. I'll let you know how it turns out. I have a very strong affection for this very beautiful rifle, as has almost everyone who has ever picked one up and shouldered it. I'm looking forward to a little "bonding" with it, by fixing it.

Then I'm going to get at least one more. At least.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Sam
  5. jONNYB

jONNYB .22LR

Sam: Sounds like you are on the right track...Jon
  6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Good idea...post pics here when the project is complete.