My type 3 has finally arrived

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Biz, Jun 19, 2022.

1. Biz

Biz 20g

After 18 months, my nice type 3 finally show up at my local post office. I will spare you the incredible details that made me believe it disappeared into the European twilight zone.

What I like about the post WWII type 3 is it the only type of the 6 to represent the engraving technique call "gravure Demi-fond creux" which I think could be call in English half hollow background engraving. Essentially, it consist of deepening the area surrounding the motif in order to give a feeling of 3D. The "Spécial tir aux pigeons" that was marketed especially in Italy is engraved in this manner also. I like as well, the reddish tone given to the walnut that marries well with the grey matte receiver and his gold elements.

The other interesting aspect of this example, is the chrome matte finish of the receiver which according to Shirley & Vanderlinden, page 165, was offered in type 4 and 5 in the S.A.C. (Super Allégé Chrome) series. My example has an alloy trigger guard with a steel receiver which would correspond to the Super lightweight series "S&V page 176. I am surprise that my type 3 as a chrome finish since in both series, the type 3 were normally offered in blued black finish. If it was a S.A.C., it would be stamped on top of the serial number and if it was a Super Allégé (Super lightweight) I believe S.A. would be stamped. On my example, 3 and S are stamped. Would that stand for type 3 Super Allégé. I wonder if it was a special edition or a custom order? I would appreciate your opinion.

998140D4-E3CD-4ED7-918A-1FC9B398CEEF.jpeg

9CED259B-050D-453E-972C-1E1B48A01929.jpeg

00F1E54A-0121-4277-8CBB-3BB469F7C7DB.jpeg

4D1324C7-D0E8-404E-8C70-841C69E8039F.jpeg

93419E82-7DBC-4498-BB62-0B25CB508BA4.jpeg

EBF71BA9-FED2-473B-8761-4B445ECB9658.jpeg

81AD54B5-C6C4-472A-AA8F-E335C9C1574F.jpeg
  2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Congrats Marc. That is one beautiful gun. I would like to hear the story of why it took so long to get.

Is the barrel chrome lined? My super lightweight is stamped CHROME ** Acier Special on the barrel. My serial number begins with FZFN.

So would that be considered a greyed receiver since it’s steel? I thought for sure it was an alloy receiver. What’s it weigh?
  3. Biz

Biz 20g

Thank Justin,
    Yes the barrel is chrome lined. Following S&V the alloy receiver was produced from 1969. Mine, which was produced in 1961, has a steel receiver but your 20 gauge was post 1969, therefore it most have an alloy receiver. Did you checked with a magnet? I suppose we can say it is a greyed receiver.

5CEE394A-48C5-4E6E-94E2-A8FA86FDCF9B.jpeg
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I do not know enough to comment on all the special ones, but that sure is beautiful. I’m thinking it would be worth the trip north of the border just to see in person.
  5. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Congratulations! Absolutely gorgeous! What a special gun.
  6. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

That is very nice gun. The pictures are also excellent. Thanks for sharing.
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Very nice, Biz. Congratulations. What a bureaucratic nightmare it must have been to import a GUN! into the country. I’m surprised Fidel Jr. is letting you keep it.

So the barrel is chrome lined? I wondered what that referred to. I don’t think SV says.

My guess is that you are correct about the serial number prefix. 3 for Type 3 and S for Super Allégé. As far as I know, there is no reference that explains the serial numbers on special guns.

So, gun safe or duck blind?
  8. murphranch

murphranch .410

Beautiful!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  9. Biz

Biz 20g

yes, Fidel Jr make good politics but very bad policies. You understand now why I am not to keen on showing my collection. After realizing that banning handgun is not solving crime, Mr Selfie Trudeau is going to ban semi automatic firearms claiming it will stop the street gangs and it will go on and on. Please don’t start me, I have enough of those f….. politicians.
    I can’t find any information on S&V and into my catalogues regarding chromed barrel. I believe the inside of the barrel is chromed in order to prevent the lead to adhere to the polished metal. I also read that the outside barrel can be chromed black matte instead of the traditional bluing finish???
    I might be tempted to hunt with it. It will impress the gallery and may be the ducks as well.
    I hope to find why it has a chrome matte finish.
  10. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Chrome bore allows for easy cleaning. Behind the scenes it allows a much coarser machine finish to be used inside pre electrolysis treatment saving heap of time on later hand lapping , tooling changes and the extra finishing steps ,speeding up production. That saves $$$
    Also offers better corrosion resistance inside against powder residues and atmosphere.
    Same deal as chrome lined hydraulic cylinders
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  11. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Marc, will you please do Canada a favor and donate all of those evil semi-auto shotguns you own to me. I will make sure that the only harm they do is on some ND roosters.
    Rudolph31 and Ranger6 like this.
  12. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Sorry to bring up politics. But discussing the importation of firearms makes it inevitable. Still, I’m glad you got the reference to Castro.

One of the good things about the Parliamentary system is that it’s much easier to undo the damage done by a previous government. I wish you Good Luck.
  13. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Marc if your going to hunt with that beautiful gun you should find a nice Patek Philippe with the same colors to wear with it.
  14. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Biz only hope for your sake the Canada thing doesn’t go the same radical line as it did here in Aust.
    I had a nice type 2 three barrel set that all got unceremoniously crushed by the authorities in front of my very eyes.
    So much history ,collections, peoples family airlooms and artistic works lost forever.
  15. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Did you save any of the parts? What if you had stripped it and just gave them the receiver?
  16. Biz

Biz 20g

Thank Auzzie for the info regarding the chrome finish but do you know if a chrome black finish is something that can be done instead of a traditional blued finish? I hope it is not going to go as far as Australia regarding restrictions of hunting firearms, a lot of northern communities depend on hunting activities for their livelihoods here in Canada.
    Justin, I am afraid that my nice gun won’t be good for you, they’re all twelve gauge. Are you not a 16 fan?
    Rudolph, we love to see Mr Selfie make a fool of himself with is silly costumes. And, I remember especially his father, Fidel Snr that jailed some of my relatives in 1970 with his war mesures act, which allow to suspend the civil liberties. You’re right the parliamentary system is more "flexible". Anyway, I am sure we are all on the same page regarding our gun.
    Jta5er, I never heard about Patek Philippe. It’s look like they’re luxury watches? Are they more expensive them my type 3?
  17. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I could learn to like a 12
  18. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

A nice used one may be same price but a guy duck hunting with that thing needs a great watch to match that gun. It sure looks like mens jewelry. A pair of wing tip boots and you would look like royalty man.
  19. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

The gun has style my friend! Nice.
  20. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Was 26 yrs ago now Rudolph. I still resent having had to do it. Was required to front up in person for interrogation and hand over the lot including barrels ,wood and parts for destruction. Had 90 day to comply period or they raided your house, there was an existing very loose licensing system in place so they had details. They did pay a fixed compensation figure per auto gun which was $1200 but that didn’t help much if you owned a fleet of exotics or collectables.
    Sad chain of events.