Model 11 / A5 - Bolt not moving forward all the way to the front of breech - solved!

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Ove, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Ove

Ove Copper BB

Hi all,

1. I disassembled this Model 11 shotgun to replace the broken operating / bolt handle.

2. Reassembled, including barrel and spring, and all seemed fine but the bolt would not slide forward by itself when the release button was pushed, without pushing it along manually. I removed the barrel and spring again not knowing what the issue was, then the butt stock. The problem was related to the butt stock assembly.

3. With the problem fixed and bolt sliding properly, I put the butt stock back on, tested again, still good, then reassembled the barrel and spring. Only this time I can't get the bolt to slide all way forward to meet the barrel in the breach. There's a 1/4 inch gap!

I removed the barrel and spring several times thinking the barrel was not seated correctly or something, but no luck. In the picture, the extractor has free play so something else is stopping the bolt from being able to move all the way forward when the barrel is on? The sides of the barrel in the breach?

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!

Model 11.jpg
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I hesitate to give Model 11 advice as Remington changed the design much more than FN did over the years. Going to a single extractor for example. But your extractor looks impossibly long. Here's a shot of a Browning:
    [​IMG]

If the bolt goes fully forward with the barrel off, I'd try fitting the barrel without the recoil spring and forearm to see what's what.

Please report back, you've got an interesting problem.
  3. Ove

Ove Copper BB

Thanks Rudolph31 - problem solved!

I field stripped it again and found that the small rod that holds the firing pin in position had protruded out inside the bolt track, and prevented the barrel from sliding all the way to the back of the bolt (picture below). I reset the firing pin and put the small rod all the way back in, put the rest back together and it's all good - phew. How the small rod worked its way out I don't know because it's very snug now that it's back in place.

Thanks!

Model 11 Bolt.jpg
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Good news! I hadn't thought of that, although since I always make sure they're flush when I reassemble I think of it then. Hard to believe that pin worked its way out as I'm always looking for a bigger hammer on that one.

Happy New Year
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Ove...!!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...

Enjoy the forum !!