Maxus Break In?

Discussion in 'Browning Maxus Shotgun' started by Dallas_CMT, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

I actually haven't received my new Maxus Sporting yet but will have it in 9 days and six hours. Yeah... can't wait.

Is there any break in? Some other shotguns I researched before settling on this beauty recommended firing some magnum, 3" shells through the gun to (I guess) work the springs.

Anyone see this needed on the Maxus Sporting with a 3" chamber? I bought a box of 1400 fps, BB 3" shells, just in case. ;) I'll mostly be shooting target loads through it, 1oz to 1-1/8oz of #8's.
  2. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

The whole point of a break-in is to fire heavy loads magnum to fully exercise the springs and gas system. It's supposed to help the gun fire light loads (like 2-3/4" 1 oz or even 7/8 oz loads) reliably.

So what I think I'm going to do is take the shotgun to the range and pattern it before going to the clays range.

I'll pattern it with 3", 1,400 fps BB loads, trying out the five chokes. That should be about 15 shells assuming I have enough 40" wide paper. Need to get to WalMart or a craft store for that.

Of course I'll need to try out a few 2-3/4" 00 buckshot and #4 buck loads, and a couple of slugs - that will be next. Those are always hot loads.

That should get it off to a good start. Next I'll try out some of the #8 shot target loads with the modified, improved cylinder, and skeet chokes to see how my Rio and Federal target loads will pattern.

Yeah. That should be a sufficient break-in... although I really doubt any is needed, it's not mentioned in the Browning manual. A break-in IS recommended in the Weatherby SA-08 manual, but this is not the same quality shotgun. Still, the principle is there, it should help.
  3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

I always pattern my shotguns with the particular load I'm going to use for the game I will be hunting on that particular trip.

You gots to know what to expect from each load at specific distances...and with each choke to be used.
  4. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

When I bought my Maxus sporting, I patterned it and then went straight to skeet shooting with your basic federal target ammo and has performed great for me. I wanted to test the claim that you didn't need to break te Maxus in and seems to have passed the test. Let us know how it turns out for you.
  5. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

I'm looking forward to it. Between New Year's, work, and a cold, I haven't been to the field yet. Maybe Saturday!