Magazine tube thread size for 12 gauge?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Biz, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

He does swing that pipe pretty good, doesn’t he? Art learned to work on the Auto-5 at Browning, and they came from FN. It’s no wonder the gunsmith techniques are so similar. I’m impressed that you’re method is so close to what we saw in the video.

I’m going to guess that it’s easier to take the tube off than it is to get it back on. Art says he whacks it with the pipe again to torque it. But he doesn’t say how he aligns the screw holes after it’s on so tight. I’m hoping you’ll tell us.
  2. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Hope this is useful.
    I Copied Arts approach straight off the video but had a mandrel up inside mag tube for bit extra support as was so god dam tight . For me getting off was way worse. Going on ust used an adjustable filter strap with couple extra padding strips for the initial torque up. Used a.smere of nickel anti seize on thread. Used Arts impact method to go that last little bit and the shank of a drill bit to check screw hole alignment. Hey presto happy result.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  3. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Speaking of Arts I have not seen any You tubes of What interesting comes into the shop done for a long time now . Guess things are too crazy busy to have time. I always found them very captivating and cool stories.
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Talked to art last week, he said he is a year behind, so probably no time I’m sure
  5. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Sounds like happy days if your in the gun or ammo business
    Ranger6 likes this.
  6. Biz

Biz 20g

Was there a "set screw" on Art’s video demonstrating removal of the magazine tube? In the very early model that has the set screw maintaining the tube in place and forbidding the tube to unscrew, the alignment of the holes determines how tight the tube will be screwed. Concerning the model without the set screw, I wonder if the magazine tube really need to be screw that tightly.
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Biz,

When the mag cut-off was added, the screw went into the magazine and kept it from turning.
  8. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Mine was a 38 std used mag cut off screw to locate and secure tube position . Rust and crud was problem. Even with good oil soaking and heat it hung on tight. Once cleaned up screwed in out no problem. Had a dent in tube is why it had to come off to be repaired.
    Hey Biz by way have not seen you on here in a while. Did you end up getting that fancy live game special home yet?
    That is an absolutely beautiful piece.
  9. Biz

Biz 20g

[QUOTE="I’m going to guess that it’s easier to take the tube off than it is to get it back on. Art says he whacks it with the pipe again to torque it. But he doesn’t say how he aligns the screw holes after it’s on so tight. I’m hoping you’ll tell us.[/QUOTE]
    I only dismantled a couple magazine tube on early auto5 that didn’t have a magazine cut off, so, thank you for bringing to my attention that the screw that hold the magazine cut off spring also holds the tube in place. Allow me Rudolph to forward the above question to you.
  10. antman73

antman73 .410

Very interesting stuff. At first thought some would say "why so tight for a magazine?' Of course that tube does way more then just feed shells when fired.
  11. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I only dismantled a couple magazine tube on early auto5 that didn’t have a magazine cut off, so, thank you for bringing to my attention that the screw that hold the magazine cut off spring also holds the tube in place. Allow me Rudolph to forward the above question to you.[/QUOTE]

I’m pretty sure that on the early models, that extra screw on the right side of the receiver secured the magazine. So there’s a hole to line up regardless. I think maybe a strap wrench would be more effective than the pipe.

The “above question” was about your “Special pour tir aux Pigeons” you were trying to import. I’ve been wondering about it also.
  12. Biz

Biz 20g

I’m pretty sure that on the early models, that extra screw on the right side of the receiver secured the magazine. So there’s a hole to line up regardless. I think maybe a strap wrench would be more effective than the pipe.

The “above question” was about your “Special pour tir aux Pigeons” you were trying to import. I’ve been wondering about it also.[/QUOTE]

The shotgun in question is in Italy and as it turn out, it is very difficult to import firearms from that country. I will spare you the details and summarize the whole affair as, it is very costly, there is a lot of red tape and it cost the same two import one or three shotgun. In other words , I am still working on it.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Then import three of them! I’ll drive to Canada and take one of them off your hands!
  14. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Biz thanks for update. Good luck re fitting tube.

That particular Special Pour Tir aux Pidgeons will be worth the effort and the wait. It looked spectacular in your images.
    I am told there is one here in Aust in a collectors hands , and he bought it here from Italy himself when he migrated in the early 60”s.